Gameplay Software Engineer (C++, Unreal)
Multiple Locations: Redwood City, California, United States • Austin, Texas, United States • Seattle, Washington, United States • Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Requisition Number: 166797
Position Title: Software Engineer III
At Maxis, we excel at outrageous thinking. It's the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We're trailblazers and great storytellers. But it's not just about amazing your peers – it's about amazing yourself and our fans. Take risks. Work with dazzling minds and dare to dream big. Together, we can change the way millions play every day. The Sims 4 has an extremely unique player base, with 60% of our audience being women between the ages of 18-24. We are looking for someone with deep insights on how to create the best experience for our players.
Maxis is looking for an experienced engineer that can help us bring the next wave of gameplay and simulation features to life. This engineer will work with an experienced team that has collectively built almost all Maxis games in the past two decades. You will work with multiple designers and simulation engineers prototyping and shipping multiple features that expand the gameplay possibilities of Sims games. Most of the work will be done in Unreal Engine, both in C++ and Blueprints.
You will report to a Development Director. As a Gameplay Engineer for a game at Maxis, you will
- Work with designers, producers, artists, and other core and backend engineers to build a framework that brings designs to life.
- Implement a data-driven simulation system to author player facing behaviors in C++.
- Build creative aspects of 'real life' within a simulation game (e.g. socialization, careers, weather, or unique characters).
- Author technical design documents detailing software requirements.
- Build unique content for a game that supports a large demographic of simulation player patterns.
Please note that you do not need to qualify for all requirements to be considered. We encourage you to apply if you can meet most of the requirements and are comfortable opening a dialog to be considered.
- Bachelor/Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related field or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years experience in a hands-on development role.
- Demonstrate technical abilities with large projects implemented in C++.
- Experience building and shipping AAA games
- Previous engineering experience overseeing major systems in code bases.
- Experience developing for large-scale live products. Products that always update to provide higher quality, and feature set to expand the possibilities in the game.
- Experience building features and tools for games (or applications) that support a collaborative User Generated Content community.
- Experience working in collaborative environments with versatile roles beyond engineering like design, production, art and product management.
- Experience optimizing performance and memory of real-time applications (like games).
- Experience working with Unreal Engine
- Experience developing for both PC and Mobile platform games.
- Demonstrate experience working in large data-driven games or applications.
- Experience leading engineers in different projects.
- Experience with Machine Learning techniques applied in the games domain.
Community / Marketing Title: Gameplay Software Engineer (C++, Unreal)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: About EA At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2021-06-29 23:21:53.6
EEO Employer Verbiage:
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.