Software Tools & Data Engineer
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Requisition Number: 179871
Position Title: Software Engineer III
Software Tools & Data Engineer
Come join our multi-disciplined Player and Quality Insights (PQI) team focused on prioritizing the player experience across our portfolio of games!
The Player and Quality Insights (PQI) team focuses on designing player feedback activity across our entire portfolio of games, to help game teams understand player behavior's to develop the games and experiences our players want to play.
We are a player-inspired team where every major decision starts with who we make games for.
You will join the PQI Engineering team reporting to the Technical Director and working with the Lead Sr Software Engineer & Product Manager to develop the portfolio of tools & data automation.
We are looking for an experienced Software Engineer that is motivated to write exceptional software and tools that will be used across all EA games.
We are hope you will be local to one of our development center's and available to travel occasionally to other sites if required.
We believe that writing good software is more than just the actual code that is written. You understand the entire software development lifecycle and how to incorporate Code Quality practices in to your development.
Role and Responsibilities
- You will lead the development of tools and data features for PQI
- You will coordinate with Operations and Research to achieve tools and data value
- You will integrate tooling and data into the PQI platform
- You will help prioritize decision-making through the use of tools and data you develop
- You are comfortable working with other teams across multiple domains and locations
- You are comfortable consulting with external engineering teams
- Prioritize the player experience when supporting a safe and fun player experience
- Advocate for software and experiential quality for our players
- Advocate for diversity and inclusion in how our teams achieve results
- Mentor and cultivate junior team members across EA
Qualifications and Knowledge
- 8 or more years of experience in software development
- 5 or more years of experience in video game development
- Strong working knowledge of C#, C++ and Java
- Experience with Responsive UI/Web technology, SQL and NoSQL
- Experience with cloud native and container infrastructure
- Experience working with distributed teams
- Knowledge of Object-Oriented Programming and SOLID Design Patterns
- Knowledge of Test-driven Development, Code Coverage and other Code Quality practices
- Knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle
EA Sports Quality Engineering is looking for a Machine Learning Software Engineer 3. Reporting to the Director of Product Management, you will design machine learning models and systems to improve game quality and solve complex software engineering problems. You will work with game designers, artists, and other software engineers to identify opportunities where machine learning can enhance game development and quality verification workflows. You bring hands-on coding expertise in Python and machine learning frameworks like PyTorch or TensorFlow, and strong software engineering skills.
- Work with partners to identify opportunities where machine learning can improve game quality or developer productivity
- Design, and implement neural network architectures and other machine learning models
- Build end-to-end machine learning systems, including data collection/labelling, training pipelines, model deployment, and monitoring
- Improve model performance through techniques like hyperparameter tuning, loss function design, and architecture design
- Write clean, well-documented, well-tested code that integrates smoothly with existing codebases
- Debug models and analyse results to uncover insights and improve systems
- Clearly communicate complex technical concepts and tradeoffs to non-technical partners
- Stay up-to-date on advancements in deep learning and adjacent fields through self-study, conferences, etc
- 5+ years professional software engineering experience
- Python programming skills and expertise in ML frameworks like PyTorch, TensorFlow
- Experience building, debugging, and shipping end-to-end ML systems
- Proficiency in software engineering best practices: version control, testing, code review, etc
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Background in computer vision, natural language processing, or other relevant ML domains
- Experience applying ML to games or interactive 3D environments
- Proficiency with C++ for understanding and modifying game code
- Knowledge of game development processes and pipelines
- Master's degree in CS or related technical field
- Ability to take vague requirements and design effective ML solutions
- Solid judgement on when ML is (or is not) appropriate for a problem
- Curiosity to learn new techniques independently as needed
- Focus on shipping production ML systems, not just prototypes
- Advocate for best practices in testing, documentation, ethics, and technical debt management
- Eagerness to mentor and share ML knowledge across the organizations
US COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
The base salary ranges listed below are for the defined geographic market pay zones in these states. If you reside outside of these locations, a recruiter will advise on the base salary range and benefits for your specific location.
EA has listed the base salary ranges it in good faith expects to pay applicants for this role in the locations listed, as of the time of this posting. Salary offered will be determined based on numerous relevant business and candidate factors including, for example, education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, and business or organizational needs.
BASE SALARY RANGES
• California (depending on location e.g. Los Angeles vs. Sacramento):
º $130,250 - $199,400
• New York (depending on location e.g. Manhattan vs. Buffalo):
º $120,450 - $199,400
• Jersey City, NJ:
º $147,400 - $199,400
• Colorado (depending on location e.g. Denver vs. Colorado Springs):
º $120,450 - $161,750
• Washington (depending on location e.g. Seattle vs. Spokane):
º $120,450 - $188,600
Base salary is just one part of the overall compensation at EA. We also offer a package of benefits including paid time off (3 weeks per year to start), 80 hours per year of sick time, 16 paid company holidays per year, 10 weeks paid time off to bond with baby, medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, and 401(k) to regular full-time employees. Certain roles may also be eligible for bonus and equity.
Community / Marketing Title: Software Tools & Data Engineer
We are a global team of creators, storytellers, technologists, experience originators, innovators and so much more. We believe amazing games and experiences start with teams as diverse as the players and communities we serve. At Electronic Arts, the only limit is your imagination.
About Electronic Arts
Everything we do is designed to inspire the world to play. Through our cutting-edge games, innovative services, and powerful technologies, we bring worlds with infinite possibilities to millions of players and fans around the globe.
We’re looking for collaborative and inclusive people with diverse perspectives who will enrich our culture and challenge us. We take a holistic approach with our benefits program, focusing on physical, emotional, financial, career, and community wellness to support our people through every chapter of life. We provide comprehensive benefit packages and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free games and so much more. Our goal is to provide a safe and respectful workplace that empowers you to thrive in both work and life.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Days Open: 43
Can this position be remote?: 1
EEO Employer Verbiage:
About Electronic Arts