Lead Narrative Designer
Location: San Francisco, California, United States
Requisition Number: 170147
Position Title: Sr Game Designer
As Lead Narrative Designer, you will be leading the narrative team for one of the most successful mobile games of all time, Kim Kardashian Hollywood. This is an exciting opportunity, as you’ll have a chance to work with a world-class, fun, and friendly team on a product that has had over 65M downloads to date and is currently seeing a huge resurgence in popularity and growth!
In this role, you’ll help mentor, grow, and guide a highly creative small team of Narrative Designers to create, develop, and implement content-driven experiences for our players. You’ll be accountable for overseeing and driving narrative work from conception through to execution - bringing new, exciting stories to life and supporting gameplay that players will love, while driving measurable success for our business. We operate this game as a continual live service for our players and we strive to create something new, fun, and exciting for them every day!
You will play an integral creative role on the leads team, collaborating to inform the narrative direction of this product and potential new products. We are looking for someone with a real passion for working on games targeting a female audience, as well as knowledge of and enthusiasm for fashion and pop culture. This role, and most of the development team, is based in Toronto.
- Plan and oversee the creation of the narrative content for each monthly update of the game
- Brainstorm and collaborate with the Art Director and Narrative Director to concept and plan the themes for each update
- Produce deliverables such as schedules, design documents, and marketing materials
- Set up and manage tasks for the narrative team
- Collaborate and communicate with other department leads to support game features and art as needed
- Develop new initiatives that impact specific game metrics, then adapt based on the results
- Collaborate with engineers to build and improve tools for content creation
- Conceptualize and execute on high level strategies around how to measure success for existing content and how to improve it
- Document and verbally present monthly content plans to the full game team
- 5+ years as a Narrative Designer/Game Writer, 1+ years at a senior or lead level
- Proven leadership abilities and teamwork skills
- High level of creative energy and enthusiasm, ability to generate unique ideas quickly and on the fly, willingness to “throw ideas at the wall and see what sticks” and take educated risks
- Ability to communicate ideas verbally and in writing, providing feedback and discussing creative direction with a constructive and diplomatic approach
- Tremendous understanding of narrative in games and the ability to think from the player’s perspective
- Superb written communication skills (English) and dialogue/scriptwriting skills
- Proficiency with office suites/software (primarily spreadsheets, word-processors, and diagramming/charts)
- A firm grasp of scheduling and task management
- A desire to innovate and to go above and beyond in pursuit of excellence
- A passion for making games and entertainment, and awareness of current trends
- A relevant bachelor's degree or diploma
- An understanding of programming basics
- Interest and experience in casual story and/or role-playing games
Nice to Have
- Experience with Unity for future development
Community / Marketing Title: Lead Narrative Designer
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: About EA At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2021-11-30 19:17:13.587
EEO Employer Verbiage:
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.