Experience Design Director
Location: Sacramento, California, United States
Requisition Number: 159304
Position Title: Sr Experience Designer
“Who is EA Capital Games?”
We’re a mobile game studio located in Midtown Sacramento, home to the highly successful title Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, the most successful Star Wars mobile game ever released, charting as the #1 grossing game in over 35 countries, and one of the Top 40 grossing games in the entire world across Apple and Google.
Collectively, we are a close-knit group of passionate gamers, obsessed with the creation of genre-defining mobile RPGs, and the vibrant live services necessary to support them. Our team culture is friendly, fast-paced, results-focused, and collaborative. We take our work – but not ourselves – very seriously.
While walking the halls of our brand-new 31,000 sq ft studio, you’ll hear the cacophony of epic console competitions, lively debates, and the rattle of dice thrown across a game board. Game nights, happy hours, weekend adventures, and a dog-friendly atmosphere are all elements of who we are.
We are looking for an Experience Design Director to collaborate with creative leaders to drive innovation and deliver compelling mobile experiences with globally recognized brands like Star Wars. Become part of a growing studio where you can shape the future of our design culture.
What You’ll Do
- Build highly collaborative relationships with key stakeholders, game designers, product managers, art directors, and brand partners to set design priorities and find balanced solutions for the player, business and technical goals.
- Conduct deep analysis of current products to develop a holistic view, drive design strategy and identify key areas of impact to meaningfully enhance the player experience.
- Develop a deep understanding of turn-based RPG and card collection games.
- Translate qualitative and quantitative data, competitive analysis and stakeholder feedback into actionable user-centered design goals.
- Establish UX and UI guidelines, design principles and best practices such as heuristic evaluations/usability standards, archetype development, experience journey maps, prototyping, and user testing.
- Drive the creation of a design system to support UI scalability, flexibility and consistency
- Provide leadership in a fastpaced distributed work environment requiring an aptitude for team collaboration and open communication.
- Driving UX & UI deliverables for a distributed design team by setting direction, identifying priorities, assigning resources, tracking progress and critiquing designs for quality.
- Guide user research studies and the development and implementation of KPI’s to measure performance data and validate solutions.
- Lead, inspire, mentor and develop junior and senior designers to bring out their best work and grow their capabilities.
What You’ll Need
- 7+ years of design experience with at least 3 years leading a team
- Strong working knowledge of the fundamentals—interaction design, visual design, brand application, prototyping and design thinking process—with an appetite for learning new platforms and technologies
- The ability to effectively present and rationalize design strategy and decisions to diverse audiences including executives, using these opportunities to educate and evangelize.
- Clear and effective written, verbal, and visual communication skills
- Experience designing complex consumer-facing, entertainment or social products
- A portfolio of shipped products from ideation to release with mobile examples
- Expert knowledge of mobile design patterns and heuristics
- Understanding of user research methodologies and user data analysis (quantitative and qualitative)
- The ability to thrive in an agile environment and can negotiate, influence and create alignment among product stakeholders
- Grittiness. You never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and tackle something hands-on
- Degree in Interaction Design, Psychology, Human Factors, Industrial Engineering or related HCI discipline, or demonstrated proficiency and experience as a user experience designer, interaction designer, interface designer, product designer or similar role.
- A passion for games
- Game development experience with UX and UI pipelines
- Unity experience
“Tell me about Sacramento.”
Sacramento hosts an approachable metropolitan lifestyle, where a home can be established for anyone from the singleton who wants to live downtown, to the family whose top priorities are a yard and great schools, all within a reasonable commute to our studio. The city fosters a vibrant urban culture through weekend street festivals, professional sports teams, bustling farmer’s markets, wonderful eateries, and award-winning craft breweries and coffee roasters. If connecting with nature is more your vibe, the Sierras are in our backyard in addition to many local hiking and biking trails.
“What’s in it for me?”
Glad you asked! We love to brag about our great perks like free food, hosted happy hours, annual camping adventures, comprehensive health, and benefits packages, tuition reimbursement, company matched retirement, and many others! And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality.
Community / Marketing Title: Experience Design Director
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2020-01-08 23:47:52.287
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.