Engineering Technical Lead
Multiple Locations: Guildford, UK • Southam CV47, UK • Runcorn, UK
Requisition Number: 178008
Position Title: Sr Software Engineer II
For more than twenty years Criterion Games has entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. Our experienced people have expressed their passion for phenomenal game feel, AAA audio-visual quality, and technical innovation across many beloved franchises including Burnout, Battlefield, Star Wars Battlefront and Need for Speed.
We believe that healthy, engaged teams make great games, so we place enormous value on collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. We'd love to hear yours! Crunch doesn't help make a better game. We don't do it. For the sixth year in a row, we are very proud to have been recognised by gamesindustry.biz as one of the best places to work in the UK.
Join our team as Engineering Technical Lead and you'll play an important part in the future of the Need for Speed franchise. We offer hybrid-working and you can work at our Guildford, Southam or Cheshire-based studios. You will report to our Core Systems Technical Director, collaborating on our technical roadmap and creating an immersive and interactive world that pushes the boundaries of a world class racing game. You will solve interesting problems at the forefront of games technology, building on strong foundations, shaping careers and unlocking the potential in everyone around you. Unleash your technical expertise, contributing to a cutting-edge game engine, exploring the latest technology and working with accomplished industry veterans to create new experiences for our players and leave your mark on Need for Speeds legacy.
- Work with the Technical Directors and the wider EA Frostbite engine team to develop our engineering roadmap
- Provide technical guidance to the engineering team, trouble shooting complex problems and advising on low-level and architectural solutions
- Mentor and develop the skills and careers of your direct reports, and the wider engineering team
- Work with engineering leads to provide a consistent approach, improving work flows and advocating for best practices
- Write, support and review technical designs to ensure we can achieve our project goals
- Identify risks and issues early and address them before they become larger problems
- Build on our technical foundations with simple, easy to debug systems that minimises bugs so we can release creative stable products to our players
- Keep up-to-date with the latest industry and Frostbite (EA's engine) advancements to push new technology and deliver new experiences
- Maintain a hands-on approach to coding; design and programme new systems, advising on integrations, automating, improving iteration times, optimising and supporting the team
- 7+ years software engineering experience working on shipped titles
- Experienced in hiring, managing and developing technical teams
- C++ game engine knowledge
- Experience working with large code bases
- Strong programming principles and practices
- Debug complex systems
- Expertise with memory, multithreading, pipelines and optimisation
#LI-Hybrid, #LI-Onsite #FlexibleWork
Community / Marketing Title: Engineering Technical Lead
We are a global team of creators, storytellers, technologists, experience originators, innovators and so much more. We believe amazing games and experiences start with teams as diverse as the players and communities we serve. At Electronic Arts, the only limit is your imagination.
About Electronic Arts
Everything we do is designed to inspire the world to play. Through our cutting-edge games, innovative services, and powerful technologies, we bring worlds with infinite possibilities to millions of players and fans around the globe.
We’re looking for collaborative and inclusive people with diverse perspectives who will enrich our culture and challenge us. We take a holistic approach with our benefits program, focusing on physical, emotional, financial, career, and community wellness to support our people through every chapter of life. Our goal is to provide a safe and respectful workplace that empowers you to thrive in both work and life.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Days Open: 68
Can this position be remote?: 0
EEO Employer Verbiage:
About Electronic Arts
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.