Senior Engineering Manager
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Requisition Number: 177479
Position Title: Sr Manager Engineering
Senior Engineering Manager
Location: Austin. Flexible for working from home.
Production Infrastructure & Engineering (PI&E) organization provides the essential platforms and infrastructure hosting solutions that power EA's live services. Our charter is to make EA's games and services available to all players anytime and anywhere. To do this, we focus on the high availability of infrastructure, primary services, and studio services. We aim to help developers to experiment and build new games quickly with infrastructure services on-demand and workflows that promote rapid development in the cloud. In all of this, we focus on being there for players where and when they want to play.
The PI&E ODI Service Insights team is looking for a leader to contribute to the service availability Insights and alerting workstreams. This team provides the portal experience and alerting capabilities for monitoring live services that power EA's games.
What you'll accomplish in this role:
As a Senior Software Engineering Manager your primary responsibility will be to lead a team of engineers in strategic planning, building, testing, and operating several of our services. This is a hands-on leadership role where your time will be spent working with the team delivering new features and services that promote better experiences for our players while optimizing performance, reliability, and scalability of those services. You will have broad impact in this role where depending on the phase of a project, you could lead requirements gathering sessions, collaborating on design and architecture, reviewing other engineers' work and even coding up small features and/or coding.
You will report to a Senior Director of Engineering and as a technical engineering manager, you will help shape people's careers and mentor the team in growing and reaching their full potential. Engineering leaders at EA are expected to live by EA's values: Be Human First, Play as One, Aim, Inspire, Listen and Improve.
Strategy and Planning:
- Create technical requirements for new services and new features.
- Work with engineers, program, and product managers to balance making forward-looking technical investments, delivering new features for customers, and driving down technical debt.
- Provide input for high-level planning (resource planning, effort estimate, impact/priority/risk/dependency assessment).
- Work with customers and business leaders to understand their needs and use cases for our services.
- Review designs, demos and documentation to ensure team's deliverables meets requirements.
- Promote improvements (process, tooling) to increase engineering productivity and product quality.
- Participate in sprint execution. Assist team with estimation, risk and dependency management, overcoming technical challenges and removing roadblocks to ensure delivery.
- Provide feedback to help your team support career development and learning.
- Recognize team members and align rewards with performance.
- Hands-on development – you lead by example.
- Interview and hire engineers according to resource planning.
- Experience managing and project planning for a 5+ team
- Technical leadership and mentoring experience especially growing early in career engineers
- Experience with all phases of product development lifecycle, including requirement definition, development, test, CI/CD and DevOps processes
- 5+ years of shipping cloud scale services with customer facing user experiences
- Experience with stress testing plus performance tuning and optimization
- Excellent debugging and optimization skills working in a multi-threaded environment
- Experience assessing, troubleshooting, and mitigating issues in live environments
- Knowledge of high traffic services and highly scalable systems
- Experience with cloud computing technologies such as Kubernetes, including auto scaling and elastic load balancing
- Knowledge of AWS or GCP cloud offerings
- Coaching and mediation skills
- Working knowledge of relational databases
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Engineering Manager
We are a global team of creators, storytellers, technologists, experience originators, innovators and so much more. We believe amazing games and experiences start with teams as diverse as the players and communities we serve. At Electronic Arts, the only limit is your imagination.
About Electronic Arts
Everything we do is designed to inspire the world to play. Through our cutting-edge games, innovative services, and powerful technologies, we bring worlds with infinite possibilities to millions of players and fans around the globe.
We’re looking for collaborative and inclusive people with diverse perspectives who will enrich our culture and challenge us. We take a holistic approach with our benefits program, focusing on physical, emotional, financial, career, and community wellness to support our people through every chapter of life. Our goal is to provide a safe and respectful workplace that empowers you to thrive in both work and life.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Days Open: 46
Can this position be remote?: 0
EEO Employer Verbiage:
About Electronic Arts
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.