Technical Art Director (Apex Legends)
Multiple Locations: Los Angeles, CA, USA • Vancouver, BC, Canada
Requisition Number: 177460
Position Title: Senior Principal Technical Artist
We are looking for a Technical Art Director who is passionate about delivering high quality tools and processes to support the artistic endeavors of Apex Legends. You will lead the Technical Art team on Apex Legends, providing technical direction, guidance and mentorship to Content Technical Artists, Technical Animators and Tools Technical Artists. As a Technical Art Director, you will work with other discipline leaders such as code, art, animation, game design, and audio as the technical advocate for the artists and partner with them to create roadmaps for the future of Apex's technical art landscape.
Respawn puts gameplay first - the essential foundation of a great gaming experience starts with gameplay. Every detail is crafted with purpose; all of our development disciplines contribute towards creating an incredible gameplay experience for our players. As a leader for our technical art team you will help empower our creators to deliver the highest quality game for our players
- Own and contribute to long-term vision for technical art and art sustainability across Apex
- Organize and shepherd department research and solutions towards performance and quality.
- Breaking down existing processes and pipelines, identifying improvements, defining goals, build consensus around the ideas and then execute on the plan.
- Define, review, test and integrate new tools to enable the Apex art dept. (both internal and off-the-shelf)
- Collaborate with the Production team to maintain the schedule and priorities of the team
- Represent artists in technical prioritization discussions
- Work together with Tools and Rendering SEs to lead technology and tool development.
- Experience utilizing and setting up Automation for content/asset processing.
- Advocate for the tech art team at the team leadership level
- Understand the content growth on Apex and build (or help drive requirements for) solutions to these problems
- Identify strategic art resource needs and promote staffing for all tech art roles on the team
- Mentor, guide, and lead tech artists, providing examples and arranging training as necessary
- Minimum of 10 years of industry experience in technical art (Or hands on in a related art discipline)
- Shipped multiple AAA titles in this or a related role
- Demonstrable expertise in technical and artistic direction
- A proficiency in at least one of the following languages: Python, C#, C++ (The more the better)
- Some experience in sculpting, modeling, rigging and animation and understanding of the related workflows is desired.
- Multiple years experience leading team of technical artists
- Experience working in proprietary engine
- Excellent communicator who can take feedback and give direction to the team.
- Collaborative, self-motivated, and effective time-management skills
- Experience working with External Development Teams
- Passion for making and playing games
Nice to Haves
- Knowledge in Rendering
- Experience working in Proprietary Engine
- C++ Programming Skills
If this position sounds like a fit with your background and interests, we look forward to reviewing your resume!
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits. You can read more about these here: www.respawn.com/perks
The base salary ranges listed below are for the defined geographic market pay zones in these states. If you reside outside of these locations, a recruiter will advise on the base salary range and benefits for your specific location.
EA has listed the base salary ranges it in good faith expects to pay applicants for this role in the locations listed, as of the time of this posting. Salary offered will be determined based on numerous relevant business and candidate factors including, for example, education, qualifications, certifications, experience, skills, geographic location, and business or organizational needs.
BASE SALARY RANGES
• California (depending on location e.g. Los Angeles vs. Sacramento):
º $184,600 - $289,300
• New York (depending on location e.g. Manhattan vs. Buffalo):
º $177,350 - $289,300
• New Jersey (depending on location e.g. Jersey City vs. Trenton):
º $177,350 - $289,300
• Colorado (depending on location e.g. Denver vs. Colorado Springs):
º $177,350 - $261,050
• Washington (depending on location e.g. Seattle vs. Spokane):
º $177,350 - $261,050
Base salary is just one part of the overall compensation at EA. We also offer a package of benefits including paid time off (3 weeks per year to start), 80 hours per year of sick time, 16 paid company holidays per year, 10 weeks paid time off to bond with baby (following 1 year of service), medical/dental/vision insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, and 401(k) to regular full-time employees. Certain roles may also be eligible for bonus and equity."
Community / Marketing Title: Technical Art Director (Apex Legends)
We are a global team of creators, storytellers, technologists, experience originators, innovators and so much more. We believe amazing games and experiences start with teams as diverse as the players and communities we serve. At Electronic Arts, the only limit is your imagination.
About Electronic Arts
Everything we do is designed to inspire the world to play. Through our cutting-edge games, innovative services, and powerful technologies, we bring worlds with infinite possibilities to millions of players and fans around the globe.
We’re looking for collaborative and inclusive people with diverse perspectives who will enrich our culture and challenge us. We take a holistic approach with our benefits program, focusing on physical, emotional, financial, career, and community wellness to support our people through every chapter of life. Our goal is to provide a safe and respectful workplace that empowers you to thrive in both work and life.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Days Open: 52
Can this position be remote?: 1
EEO Employer Verbiage:
About Electronic Arts
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.