Senior Sound Designer - Metalhead
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Requisition Number: 177419
Position Title: Sr Audio Artist I
Senior Sound Designer - Metalhead
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
The team at Metalhead comes from diverse backgrounds, unified by a passion to make original games. We've supported and inspired each other through the development and evolution of the Super Mega Baseball series and have built a fiercely loyal fanbase in the process. And we get to do it all from downtown Victoria. We're growing the studio and hope you'll consider joining us.
We're expanding our in-house team so that we can build the next generation of our light-hearted, ultra-customizable athletes (and off-field characters!), both male and female. Our approach is modular and efficient but we also work toward a unique sense of character and charm. We're looking for someone who can help us with this vision, take ownership of a large amount of work that is often technical, and help us improve our processes and pipelines.
What you'll do:
- Follow the Audio Direction and understand how each piece fits into and supports a readable, quality soundscape, by creating assets and implementations that live up to the creative and technical aspirations.
- Oversee the sound lead an audio sub team, for a substantial area of a title.
- Ensure you understand the tasks and context, to balance effort and quality against the intended purpose of the asset. Produce audio for the game to quality, within the planned budget and to an agreed schedule.
- Ask for and act on feedback concerning your work. Also provide and act on feedback within the sound team, with a focus on audio execution.
- Be structured; estimate your work, update plans, submit good data into the branch.
- As a part of the Audio team provide and respond to Audio feedback and be an active mixer for your assets and provide feedback on the title's overall mix
Qualities we're looking for:
- 3 or more years of experience of sourcing, creating and implementing quality sound assets in a AAA title, from both a creative and technical standpoint especially vehicles or weapons.
- A solid appreciation and understanding of how sound works in real-life, with a sense for realism and believability, but able to favor readability to support gameplay.
- Developed artistic qualities; excellent at interpreting reference and following direction.
- Desire to develop your implementation, design, editing and engineering skills.
- Proficient in common studio hardware, editing techniques and software such as Reaper, Sound Forge, Waves, Fabfilter and IzoTope RX.
- Experience with technical workflows and integrating audio into the game environment using the tools at hand. Creating with efficiency, and being mindful of performance constraints.
- Knowledge of audio middleware, e.g. WWISE, FMOD, Unity and Unreal
- Knowledge of graphical audio programming, e.g. Reaktor, Max-MSP, Pure Data, is a bonus
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Sound Designer - Metalhead
We are a global team of creators, storytellers, technologists, experience originators, innovators and so much more. We believe amazing games and experiences start with teams as diverse as the players and communities we serve. At Electronic Arts, the only limit is your imagination.
About Electronic Arts
Everything we do is designed to inspire the world to play. Through our cutting-edge games, innovative services, and powerful technologies, we bring worlds with infinite possibilities to millions of players and fans around the globe.
We’re looking for collaborative and inclusive people with diverse perspectives who will enrich our culture and challenge us. We take a holistic approach with our benefits program, focusing on physical, emotional, financial, career, and community wellness to support our people through every chapter of life. Our goal is to provide a safe and respectful workplace that empowers you to thrive in both work and life.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Days Open: 12
Can this position be remote?: 0
EEO Employer Verbiage:
About Electronic Arts
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.