Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Requisition Number: 174268
Position Title: Software Engineer I
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
The team at Metalhead comes from diverse backgrounds, unified by a passion to make original games. We've supported and inspired each other through the development and evolution of the Super Mega Baseball series and have built a fiercely loyal fanbase in the process. And we get to do it all from downtown Victoria. We're growing the studio and hope you'll consider joining us. Are you an experienced, pragmatic cranker of codes that has worked on and shipped high performance game code? Perhaps our open role of Generalist Software Engineer appeals to you! You will report to a senior engineering team member and work with the rest of the team to solve a broad category of problems we encounter in game development.
What you'll do:
- Work with the senior engineering team in solving complex problems across the tech stack using C++ and C#.
- Design & implement core technology features that facilitate running a sports simulation at 60hz across a variety of platforms.
- Enhance existing systems to solve the needs of the art or gameplay teams.
- Own features and collaborate with team members to solve problems efficiently.
- Evaluate and integrate 3rd party libraries.
Qualities we're looking for:
- 5+ years of professional C++ experience.
- Advanced debugging skills.
- Pragmatic approach to problem solving.
- Familiarity with a Visual Studio / Windows development environment.
- Experience developing, debugging, and successfully shipping software features.
- Ability to work in and comprehend a large codebase with interacting technologies.
- A high level of comfort reasoning about multi-threaded code, its performance characteristics and interactions with other systems.
- Willingness to context switch to unfamiliar features/tasks to keep a project on track.
- An eye for finding simple solutions to complex problems.
Bonus points for...
- Familiarity with C#
- Experience with AWS, MSBuild, SQL.
- A degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Computer Engineering.
- Experience with console development environments (PlayStation/Xbox/Nintendo).
- Shipped console or PC games.
Regardless of your specialization, a few things we're always looking for:
- You love programming and are always looking to learn more and hone your craft. Your shower thoughts are often software related.
- A sense of humility and ability to thrive in a team environment. You look for help when you're stuck and you want to help your teammates when they need it.
- A knack for managing your time. You know when to go deeper on a task versus recognizing that it's time to get 'er done and move on to the next thing. Quality is important, but so is speed!
- A willingness to branch into areas outside your core expertise. It's just a fact of life in a small studio as we adapt to the changing demands at each stage of a project.
- Drive to execute. Projects you've worked on in the past (personal or professional) got finished, and got finished properly... and it had a lot to do with you.
Community / Marketing Title: Software Engineer
Electronic Arts Inc. es una empresa de software de entretenimiento interactivo líder a nivel mundial. EA distribuye juegos, contenido y servicios en línea para consolas, ordenadores personales, teléfonos móviles y tabletas conectados a Internet.
EEOText: About EA We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers. We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more. Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game. Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2022-06-20 19:01:52.417
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA ofrece igualdad de oportunidades. Nuestras decisiones de empleo se hacen independientemente de raza, color, nacionalidad, ascendencia, sexo, género, identidad o expresión de género, orientación sexual, edad, información genética, religión, discapacidad, condición médica, embarazo o estado civil, familiar o de veterano. EA también lleva a cabo ajustes de espacios de trabajo para individuos cualificados con discapacidades, de acuerdo con la ley aplicable.