Head of Game Creation Platform Engineering
Multiple Locations: Redwood City, California, United States • Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada • Orlando, Florida, United States • Austin, Texas, United States
Requisition Number: 171921
Position Title: Senior Director IT II
The Challenge Ahead
This is a key technical leadership role in the Game Development & Infrastructure Services (GDIS) team and offers a recognized expert the opportunity to envision, design and build a variety of enterprise-level solutions in support of Application Lifecycle Management for EA’s video game studios and central services teams. The core mission will focus on the development of a game creation platform that will integrate the many applications and tools required to develop video games into a tightly integrated platform, delivering an exceptional experience for EA's game creators. The game creation platform will require solution architectures incorporating custom, COTS and packaged applications together with integrations with products such as Jira, Perforce, and GitLab. These solutions are built upon a cloud-first philosophy and leverage public cloud services from leading providers such as Azure, AWS and Google. Coupled with the power of the cloud, the ideal candidate will have people management responsibilities over Agile development teams to architect, design and engineer applications that will support thousands of concurrent users.
About Head of Game Creation Platform Engineering
GDIS is seeking a Head of Game Creation Platform Engineering to lead the transformation of a portfolio of applications that support our game development products, solutions, and tooling into an integrated game creation platform. The Head of Game Creation Platform Engineering will lead direction, innovation, and strategy for software development, platform engineering, and cloud products throughout the enterprise supporting the creation of EA’s video game portfolio.
- Collaborate with studio and central technology teams to develop both short- and long-range strategic technology solutions
- Envision, develop and progress architectural and technology roadmaps for game creation platform
- Build a strong engineering leadership team, with a healthy mix of technical management and innovation, inspiring their team to exceed expectations, encouraging growth through professional development and active coaching
- Attract, recruit, and retain a team that elevates engineering across the engineering team
- Provide engineering team guidance on incorporating design, usability and user experience principles for product development, in partnership with EA IT’s Product Management and UX Design teams
- Ensure that all solutions are appropriately provisioned to incorporate modern telemetry and monitoring stacks providing logging, alerting and predictive/post analytic capabilities, supporting continual service improvement
- Continually review the technology needs of supported game development functions relative to new technological developments and trends and keep abreast of industry and emerging technology
- Partner with EA’s security leadership to build repeatable systems that implement secure best practices
- Build relationships with key technology leads across studio and central technology teams to collaborate on and promote consistent architectural best practices
- Work closely with operations teams, clients, and management both formally and informally to track timelines, manage priorities and schedules, and set client expectations
- Collaborate deeply with customer success, user support services and product management leaders to identify continual service improvement opportunities
- Understand complex technology, game development and business problems and apply technology and product portfolio knowledge to solve customer problems in a consultative manner
- Manage budgeting and proposal efforts by ensuring completion of project business cases, cost-benefit analyses, resource plans, and project schedules
- The candidate will be expected to coach existing teams, retain top-tier talent, drive recruiting, and build junior engineering pipelines.
- The candidate will be a leader and activist in building a diverse and inclusive workforce.
- 15+ years in a technology field, with at least 10 years in a senior leadership role
- 10+ years of experience developing complex, large-scale, enterprise application platforms including cloud-based architectures, delivery models, applications, APIs, web services, IaaS, PaaS, microservices, container-based and serverless architectures
- Have an established track record at building enterprise-scale application platforms, leverage solid business judgment, excellent communication skills, and have the ability to execute and deliver in a quickly evolving environment
- Extensive development technology experience, especially in the formulation of strategy and roadmaps, as well as associated standards, policies, and frameworks
- Expert in full SDLC and secure coding practices and frameworks
- Experience with Information Technology in developing/architecting applications with significant exposure to Open-Source solutions
- Expertise working on a team with motivated cross-functional individuals focused on a common goal of delivering innovative solutions to meet aggressive business demands in an ever-changing environment to achieve on-time and on budget completion of projects
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to relate complex information to both technical and non-technical audiences and a demonstrated ability to articulate complex technical themes to C-level executives
- Experience working in a fast-paced and highly cross-functional organization
- Master’s degree in Computer Science/Engineering or related field strongly preferred
- Careful listener with an approach that is inclusive of other viewpoints and perspectives; confidence to make tough decisions about difficult issues with limited data
- Culture carrier with strong leadership skills to drive, deliver, develop, and inspire
- Experience in rapidly changing organizations and the ability to consistently work well with others and provide a supportive attitude for all colleagues
- A career path that demonstrates increasing levels of responsibility and proven success delivering measurable marketing results
- Technical background with previous software development experience in gaming, media, and entertainment
We Thought You Might Also Want to Know
We love to brag about our great perks like comprehensive health and benefit packages; and of course, free video games. And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives from creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day.
Don’t Just Play It – Create It!
It’s not easy building the world’s best digital playground. It’s hair-standing-on-end exhilarating. It’s down-in-the-trenches challenging. It’s stroke-of-brilliance-at-midnight creative. It’s you—taking risks, challenging yourself, pursuing ideas, changing the way millions of people do something they love: play. In an industry that’s changing every day, EA is positioned for growth thanks to smart business plans, strategic acquisitions, and most importantly, our creative people around the world who gather each day to unite the world through play. We take that last part very seriously, so if what you’re reading excites you as much as it does us, apply today.
Community / Marketing Title: Head of Game Creation Platform Engineering
Electronic Arts Inc. ist ein weltweit führender Anbieter interaktiver Unterhaltungssoftware. EA bietet Spiele, Inhalte und Online-Dienste für internetfähige Spielkonsolen, Personalcomputer, Mobiltelefone und Tablets an.
EEOText: EA engagiert sich für Chancengleichheit und Gleichstellung. Alle Personalentscheidungen werden unabhängig von Ethnie, Hautfarbe, Herkunft, Abstammung, Geschlecht, Geschlechtsidentität oder ausgelebtem Geschlecht, sexueller Orientierung, Alter, genetischer Information, Religion, Behinderung, Krankheit, Schwangerschaft, Familienstand, Veteranenstatus oder anderer durch das Gesetz geschützte Charakteristiken getroffen. Wir berücksichtigen unter Einhaltung der geltenden rechtlichen Bestimmungen auch qualifizierte Kandidaten mit Vorstrafen. EA sorgt außerdem für die durch geltendes Gesetz vorgeschriebenen Anpassungen am Arbeitsplatz für Individuen mit anerkannten Behinderungen.
Date Opened: 2022-03-03 17:53:45.39
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA engagiert sich für Chancengleichheit und Gleichstellung. Alle Personalentscheidungen werden unabhängig von Ethnie, Hautfarbe, Herkunft, Abstammung, Geschlecht, Geschlechtsidentität oder ausgelebtem Geschlecht, sexueller Orientierung, Alter, genetischer Information, Religion, Behinderung, Krankheit, Schwangerschaft, Familienstand oder Veteranenstatus getroffen. EA sorgt außerdem für die durch geltendes Gesetz vorgeschriebenen Anpassungen am Arbeitsplatz für Individuen mit anerkannten Behinderungen.