Multiple Locations: Orlando, FL, USA • Los Angeles, CA, USA • Vancouver, BC, Canada
Requisition Number: 171886
Position Title: Animation Director
Create Animation is one of EA's central teams, responsible for bringing characters and performances to life across all of EA's franchises. Led by industry veterans from film and game industries, we work on award-winning franchises in partnership with teams like BioWare (Mass Effect, Dragon Age), Respawn (Jedi: Fallen Order, Apex Legends, Medal of Honor), EA Sports (FIFA, Madden, College Football) and other high profile game teams!
Our team collaborates with many teams across Create and EA, such as Motion Capture, Rigging, Scanning, and more. We work on a diverse catalog of games across many different animation styles, from realistic to stylized, from humans to creatures.
As an Animation Director, you will ensure AAA quality performances across all types of genre and styles in EA’s catalogue. You will accomplish this by managing the work of the animation team on projects you direct, working directly with the senior leaders of the studio and across EA, and ensuring the appropriate technologies, methodologies, and skills are being used to maximum effectiveness.
- Determine, direct and accomplish the vision and quality bar on projects
- Oversee a team of animators to deliver the creative vision for all performances
- Direct the animation, balancing performance, quality and continuity
- Work with the Development Directors on projects to achieve all technical, schedule and budgetary requirements
- Provide daily feedback and direction to the animation team
- Guide the evolution strategy of the animation pipeline
- Establish efficient animation procedures
- Collaborate with Development Directors and Technical Art teams to deliver projects that meet technical and production needs
Working directly with:
- The creative and visual leadership to establish the animation direction, style, quality, and execution
- Designers and engineers to achieve compelling performances that match the overall game quality and expectations
- Technical animators, character riggers and modelers to ensure our characters move & deform beautifully
- Graphics engineers to ensure characters are grounded in the world with VFX, such as grass, weather, shadows and lighting
- Physics engineers to ensure characters align with the physical limitations you determine and work with other characters and the environment in believable ways
Skills you have:
- 8+ years of directing animation with excellent credentials on high credibility AAA games
- A great eye for style and quality, combined with a deep technical skill set
- Team leadership, people and mentoring skills
- Experience in visual and technical innovation
- Able to inspire and lead teams to accomplish high quality within time and budget
- Able to guide a team to balance creative goals with the requirements of production
- Direct actors and other motion capture talent
- Knowledge of common practices and the understanding of industry trends
- Setup and work with animation blending trees and state machines
Community / Marketing Title: Animation Director
We are a global team of creators, storytellers, technologists, experience originators, innovators and so much more. We believe amazing games and experiences start with teams as diverse as the players and communities we serve. At Electronic Arts, the only limit is your imagination.
About Electronic Arts
Everything we do is designed to inspire the world to play. Through our cutting-edge games, innovative services, and powerful technologies, we bring worlds with infinite possibilities to millions of players and fans around the globe.
We’re looking for collaborative and inclusive people with diverse perspectives who will enrich our culture and challenge us. We take a holistic approach with our benefits program, focusing on physical, emotional, financial, career, and community wellness to support our people through every chapter of life. Our goal is to provide a safe and respectful workplace that empowers you to thrive in both work and life.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Days Open: 182
Can this position be remote?: 1
EEO Employer Verbiage:
About Electronic Arts
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.