Character Artist - BioWare
Multiple Locations: Austin, Texas, United States • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada • Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada • Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Requisition Number: 170664
Position Title: Character Artist 2
At BioWare, our mission is to create worlds of adventure, conflict, and companionship that inspire you to become the hero of your story. Our teams inspire creativity using tech and tools such as the Frostbite engine and work with thousands of developers across EA’s network of studios. We are passionate about games and their potential as a creative medium to reach and inspire people through emotion, artistry, and engaging storytelling. If you share this passion, this is an amazing opportunity to help shape the next generation of gaming.
BioWare is looking for a Character Artist for Star Wars: The Old Republic to create compelling art that captures the mood and style of Star Wars. You will help create characters, outfits, mounts, boss characters, and other content.
What the Character Artist will do at BioWare Austin:
- You will sculpt, model, and texture efficient, high-quality characters, outfits, and creatures that are consistent with our specific and established art style from concept to completion.
- You will skin character models to existing rigs and integrate finished character assets into our game engine
- You will fix bugs on character assets.
- You will work with an amazing team, contributing to and helping schedule, ideation, constructive feedback, and outsourcing efforts.
- You will assist the character art team in a supervisory role, participating in concept discussions, planning, and feedback for junior and outsource artists.
- You will work on an established title.
- You will report to the Art Director.
- You will be a part of a project in the Star Wars universe!
Who You Are:
- 4+ years of experience in the industry or a related field.
- Expert knowledge of human anatomy (and comparative animal-anatomy if applicable) and its reaction to movement.
- Expert knowledge of proportion, silhouette, and topology.
- Expert knowledge of clothing construction and wrinkle behavior.
- Experience with color theory.
- Expert in creating UV maps and textures.
- Experience with how and why topology is created to achieve the desired rendering and deformation results.
- Extremely knowledgeable in shader capabilities and works with SEs and TAs to modify shaders.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest techniques and industry standards and make sure these are followed by the team.
- Can render techniques and works with SEs and TDs to evaluate final results and suggest areas for improvement.
- Follow art direction and complete a character task.
- Work with the Art Director and Art Lead to establish visual targets.
- Mentor junior character artists.
Community / Marketing Title: Character Artist - BioWare
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: About EA At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2021-12-17 07:17:03.727
EEO Employer Verbiage:
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.