Lead Character Artist (Apex Legends)
Multiple Locations: Los Angeles, California, United States • Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Requisition Number: 170019
Position Title: Senior Character Artist 2
Respawn Entertainment is a AAA video game development studio that aspires to create new hit games that leave a lasting impact for gamers worldwide. Our work includes the critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends and Titanfall franchise. We developed the Star Wars™ action-adventure game Jedi: Fallen Order and virtual reality game Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond, and we are continuing development for our live free-to-play game, Apex Legends.
You can learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio.
We are seeking a Lead Character Artist who is passionate about creating high-quality, stylized realism character art and is eager to join us in our desire to push quality to the next level. As a Lead Character Artist at EA/ Respawn, you will help the dev team create more legend characters to life. This role will report to our Character Art Director based in our studio in Los Angeles, California. You'll be working closely with the Character Art Director and collaboratively with the developers on the character pipeline. We are considering on-site and hybrid working options and welcome full-time remote candidates in the Pacific Time Zone.
- Assist the Character Art Director to drive and maintain high visual quality of character models
- Sculpt high-resolution characters, create clean game topology, UV's and textures for character assets
- Character assets quality control for the team
- Collaborate with Production to organize, schedule, and manage the character art team's daily activities
- Collaborate with character artists and other disciplines to create appealing characters, creatures, character skins
- Support character concept and design
- Partner with engineers and tech artists to improve character art pipeline
- Lead, manage and mentor the character team through verbal and written feedback
- Deliver feedback to Respawn external team to maintain art style alignment and quality for the IP
- Troubleshooting for the character team and project
Skills We Look For:
- Previous character lead or experienced senior artist within a game production environment and has a game developer mindset
- Excellent understanding of anatomy, weight and silhouette
- Versatile skill set for a broad range of art styles
- Experienced stylized realism art, shape language a plus
- Experience in playing Esport Games, shooter games
- Art assets optimization for games
- Game engine experiences
- Strong Maya or similar 3D modeling software
- Expert sculpting skills using Zbrush from scratch
- Expert knowledge of PBR texture/material workflows
- Experience with Substance Painter
- Understand rigging and skinning
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Passion for collaboration with other departments, artists, designers, and programmers
- Team player and ability to work as part of a team
- R&D experience
Community / Marketing Title: Lead Character Artist (Apex Legends)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: About EA At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2021-11-17 01:31:23.89
EEO Employer Verbiage:
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.