C++ Software Engineer - Maxis
Multiple Locations: Ireland • Helsinki, Finland • United Kingdom • Spain • Romania • Sweden • Germany
Requisition Number: 168953
Position Title: Software Engineer III
At Maxis, we thrive on outrageous thinking.
It’s the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We’re creators and great storytellers. Our mission is not just about amazing our peers – it’s about amazing our fans. Taking risks, collaborating with each other, and daring to dream big. Together, we can improve the way millions play every day.
As a Client Software Engineer on The Sims, you will work on the client systems within the game. The work will range from rapid prototyping to production development. Most of the work is expected to be done in C++.
- Implement client features and systems in C++.
- Extend existing client systems and create new ones.
- Work with designers, producers, content creators, and other engineers to design and develop game features.
- Write technical design documents detailing software requirements.
- Write cross-platform code with performance and memory usage in mind.
- Debug code to document and fix bugs.
- Solve challenging technical problems in a dynamic environment to support active live service.
Please note that you do not need to qualify for all qualifications to be considered. We encourage you to apply if you can meet most of the requirements and are comfortable opening a dialog to be considered.
- 7+ years experience in a hands-on development role.
- Strong working knowledge of modern C++.
- Experience implementing complex game subsystems.
- Experience with graphics libraries (DirectX/OpenGL/Metal) suggested.
- A strong understanding of geometry, linear algebra, calculus, and physics as they pertain to transformations and motions in 3D space.
- Desktop development experience required.
- Experience with Windows platform and development tools (e.g. Visual Studio or other programming IDEs).
- Skills debugging complex applications.
- Experience optimizing existing game code to be more performant.
Nice to have:
- Mac development experience.
- Xbox One/PS4 development experience.
- Knowledge of Python, C#, or familiarity with WPF.
- Demonstrate experience working in large data-driven games or applications.
- Experience developing large-scale live products.
- Experience using static and performance analysis tools, automated testing, unit testing, and configuration management processes.
- Familiarity with The Sims games on PC/Mac/consoles.
Community / Marketing Title: C++ Software Engineer - Maxis
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: About EA At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2021-10-07 18:10:45.5
EEO Employer Verbiage:
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.