Principal Game Designer
Location: San Francisco, California, United States
Requisition Number: 168944
Position Title: Principal Game Designer I
At the CrowdStar Studio, we believe there is a huge opportunity in interactive entertainment products for women. Our goal is to build products that engage, enrich, and empower.
With our two top-grossing titles, Covet Fashion and Design Home, CrowdStar has developed new ways for players to enjoy fashion and interior design. We are changing how women interact with games. We are changing how they discover and shop for everything from clothing to shoes, and furniture to home decor. As a team, we are passionate about creating fun and engaging games for women, and also enriching lives outside of the game.
We are now looking to expand our audience with an exciting third title in development, Table and Taste. This product builds on the success of Covet Fashion and Design Home by taking our insights and applying them to everything food.
We're looking for a Lead Game Designer who's a voice that inspires metrics-driven game design and player experience, ensuring strong engagement, retention, virality, and monetization. You will help improve the player experience, designing game features and driving important decisions that impact development. You have experience designing for titles in all stages of development, from prototyping, through production, to live operations.
You will have a passion for working with a team of Game and User Interface Designers as they work with User Research and PM Teams to form a vision for the future of Table and Taste. You are familiar with all the top mobile titles, and bring that wealth of knowledge to bear on content creation, with a deep understanding of the casual player. You are both creatively- and strategically-minded, able to make creative use of game features to create a fun experience that satisfies player motivations.
- Envision, prototype and validate feature concepts through user research
- Through player research help determine and articulate player motivations
- Articulate and inform the "player journey" and make sure all features and game elements support that player journey
- Strong sense of UI / UX to work with artists to ensure we get the most out of our features
- Research, validate, and refine features in that roadmap before they reach development
- Design next set of creative features targeting numerous important metrics such as early retention and long term engagement
- Design features in-game to extend the game's influence past the screen and into daily life, providing an even more enriching experience
- Create features and systems for a free-to-play mobile game
- Organize and run team brainstorms
- Respond to emergent Engineering, QA, and design issues in development and ensure these are addressed to meet product goals and release plan targets
- Familiarity with working well in an agile manner with Product Managers, UI Designers, Producers, QA Testers and Engineers to deliver excellent games while working within the requirements and constraints of technology, schedule and budget
- 5+ years in design for either casual or female games
- A passion for learning and user empathy
- Strong ability to document features
- Experience designing product features in social platforms or in-game social features
- Consolidate feedback on designs
- Core knowledge of best design practices
- Solid balance between "the big picture" and day to day
- Experience with the player journey and how it maps to various features in-game
- Strong empathy and knowledge of a female audience
- An understanding of usability principles
- UI/UX experience
- An understanding of statistics and analytics
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
Community / Marketing Title: Principal Game Designer
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: About EA At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2021-10-07 20:32:22.82
EEO Employer Verbiage:
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.