Manager Software Engineering
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Requisition Number: 168943
Position Title: Manager Engineering
Manager, Software Engineering
CrowdStar is now part of EA Mobile. We have formed a powerful growth engine to expand our current games and provide amazing new experiences across sports, lifestyle, mid-core, and casual for players everywhere.
We believe that there is a huge opportunity in interactive entertainment to create games played by millions of users.
As a Manager of Software Engineering you will report into the Technical Director. You will design and develop the backend services that support our games in partnership with the client team. You will be the decision maker on technical choices and guide the server development team to deliver high-quality technical solutions. You will assist with planning, costing and allocation of resources. You will interact with multiple stakeholders to ensure the execution of our roadmap and product requirements. Our managers are hands on and are expected to spend some of their time coding.
- Lead the design and development efforts of the backend team
- Coordinate development efforts with the client team
- Maintain existing services and make suggestions for engineering-driven development opportunities
- Identify, drive and coordinate codebase improvements
- Plan against and pivot the team for new challenges that arise during development
- Ensure performance and scalability of services
- Work with producers to drive sprint planning and task estimation
- Mentor and work with engineers, including helping them solve coding and architectural problems
- Audit and review technical plans and specifications
- Drive the team to successful launches and ongoing support of services
- Identify, design and build tools for the broader studio
- Stay up to date with modern backend technologies, and suggest applicable uses
- Encourage knowledge sharing with other teams
- 6+ years of professional development experience building backend services, having shipped at least one mobile title with live service
- BS/MS Computer Science degree or equivalent experience
- Excellent working knowledge of OOP, design patterns, algorithms, and data structures
- Expertise in multiple server side languages (e.g. PHP, Python, Java/Kotlin)
- Expertise with relational databases (e.g. MySQL, Postgres), NoSQL databases (e.g. DynamoDB, Couchbase) and caching technologies (e.g. Redis)
- Expertise with modern cloud architecture (e.g. AWS, GCP)
- Expertise in debugging software in distributed architectures
- Expertise in automated testing best practices
- Knowledge of CI/CD pipelines
- Knowledge of Application Performance Monitoring and Profiling
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent teamwork and problem-solving skills, flexibility, and ability to handle multiple tasks
- Expert knowledge of PHP and experience with PHP frameworks (e.g. Symfony, Laravel/Lumen)
- Expert knowledge of a JVM based language (e.g. Java, Kotlin)
- Developed back-end services for mobile apps that have millions of daily users
- Experience working with team members across different time zones, and of different backgrounds and cultures
- Aspirations to become a people manager
Community / Marketing Title: Manager Software Engineering
We are a global team of creators, storytellers, technologists, experience originators, innovators and so much more. We believe amazing games and experiences start with teams as diverse as the players and communities we serve. At Electronic Arts, the only limit is your imagination.
About Electronic Arts
Everything we do is designed to inspire the world to play. Through our cutting-edge games, innovative services, and powerful technologies, we bring worlds with infinite possibilities to millions of players and fans around the globe.
We’re looking for collaborative and inclusive people with diverse perspectives who will enrich our culture and challenge us. We take a holistic approach with our benefits program, focusing on physical, emotional, financial, career, and community wellness to support our people through every chapter of life. Our goal is to provide a safe and respectful workplace that empowers you to thrive in both work and life.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Days Open: 158
Can this position be remote?: 1
EEO Employer Verbiage:
About Electronic Arts
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.