Technical Experience Designer (Apex Legends)
Multiple Locations: Redwood City, California, United States • Los Angeles, California, United States
Requisition Number: 168875
Position Title: Experience Designer I
Respawn Entertainment is hiring! Learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio.
We’re looking for a Senior Technical Experience Designer to create meaningful new experiences for Apex Legends. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Experience Design, you will develop fun and readable systems, interfaces menus, and more to help create a seamless and enjoyable experience for our players outside of a normal match.
What’s it like to be a Technical Experience Designer at Respawn?
Day to Day - Our experience designers’ tasks include developing new menus and flows in our scripting language based on wireframe prototypes that have been approved by stakeholders. You will work both independently and as part of a team.
You will design and maintain deep UI systems and compelling interactions to drive player engagement and enjoyment outside of normal gameplay. As a member of the design team, you will work closely with artists to envision and execute on the look/feel of menus and UX systems that give players deep progression and strong investment. Features range from improvements to current systems like Ranked, Stats and the Store, to creating new UX systems that have yet to be dreamed of.
Creative Freedom - We believe that when talented people have creative freedom and work together they will make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. Our designers are encouraged to bring new ideas to the table, iterate for greatness, scope wisely, and deliver highly polished game designs they are proud of for players to enjoy. As a game designer you will have a direct hand in influencing the shape of the game and a voice when it comes to making the best game possible.
Collaboration - You will have the opportunity to work independently as well as with a team, as you will collaborate with both your design teammates and other departments to help create the best user experience for the game.
Values - Our designers are aligned on their values. They share their inspiration, knowledge, and passion with the others in their department. They aspire to treat everything they work on as a personal masterpiece. They play the game and are encouraged to speak up if they see anything that is not up to our high standards. They play other studios’ games and stay abreast of trends, while also striving to invent and innovate. They put their time and passion into what will have the biggest payoff for players. Our design leadership also makes a lot of effort to ensure that our designers work on aspects they are excited about.
Ownership - Our teams are small and everyone has a lot of ownership over their work. Our experience designers own their individual features from conceptualization to shipping and work with UX designers and UI artists to realize the final product. As part of a small team you will have the opportunity to shine here.
Growth - At Respawn we believe that all of our team members are on a path of professional development, and making progress in that journey is a key component of happiness and satisfaction in one’s work. Our team members are encouraged to follow their career interests, while also challenging themselves. To facilitate this, our leads work with each team member to identify areas of strength, and areas of desired development, and whenever possible, assign tasks and projects which will inspire the team member to grow in skill, knowledge, and capability.
What do we look for in Technical Experience Designer candidates?
- Design Sensibilities and Insight - Our experience designers value having discussions with each other to better understand the intentions and level of success in their designs. We’d love for you to be able to articulate why you made the decisions you’ve made in your own designs - what worked well, what you would change in hindsight, and what you learned. We also value your ability to analyze and break down, from a designer’s perspective, the aspects that work well or don’t work well in games you’ve played and why. Additionally, a Senior Technical Experience Designer should have a strong library of interaction patterns and solutions they can call on to build strong new features.
- You’ve Made Stuff You Are Proud Of - Whether it’s professional or personal work, we’d like to see features in your portfolio that you developed from concept to finish. We like to see portfolios that showcase strong game design skills - sensibility, gameplay, geo, documents, etc. If your portfolio includes work that you developed as part of a team, we’d like to know the specifics of what you contributed versus what was handled by others.
- Passion - We look for experience designers who are highly passionate. Our team is constantly sharing inspiration and working to raise the quality bar. No one is phoning it in here – our team loves what they do and it shows in their work.
- Potential Over Experience – We value talent over years of experience. Experience counts, but potential is important too. We look for talented, highly motivated people with a strong sense of design and a keen eye for quality.
- Teamplayer – Positivity and a great attitude help to fuel greatness. The ability to accept feedback and critiques will help you tailor your work towards what’s best for the game. Making games is a group effort and you will work closely with other talented departments that are experts in what they do. Teamwork is very important to our success.
Ideally, you also will have...
- Professional game development experience with at least one shipped title.
- Experience working in a game engine, using scripting tools, and familiarity with IDEs, debuggers, and scripting languages.
- A strong attention to detail and the ability to meticulously polish features to a AAA quality.
- Experience in rapid prototyping to test feasibility of concepts.
- Ability to pitch design concepts in a clear, detailed manner, through strong written and verbal skills.
- Self-direction and the ability to work autonomously as well as with a team.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio and we will get back to you once we have reviewed.
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits! Learn more at respawn.com/perks.
Community / Marketing Title: Technical Experience Designer (Apex Legends)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: About EA At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2021-10-05 20:22:43.443
EEO Employer Verbiage:
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.