Software Engineering Manager - Gameplay Services
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Requisition Number: 168168
Position Title: Director Engineering
The EADP Gameplay Services Platform powers online features for EA's game titles serving millions of users each day. We live, breathe, and dream about how we can make every player's multiplayer experience memorable. We develop services and SDKs in collaboration with EA's game studios for matchmaking, stats and leaderboards, achievements, game replays, VOIP, and game networking. We try to capture the most memorable portions of your experience, such as statistics to compare yourself to other players, achievements you earned during play, and even replays of your own games to share. We build scalable, distributed back-end services that bring functionality to our millions of customers and work on creative improvements to keep our systems at top-notch performance!
What does a Software Engineering Manager do?
As a Software Engineering Manager your primary responsibility will be to lead a team of engineers in strategic planning, building, testing, and operating several of our services. Most of your time will be spent working with the team delivering new features and services that promote better experiences for our players while optimizing performance, reliability, and scalability of those services.
You will report to a Director of Engineering and as a technical people manager, you will help shape people's careers and mentor the team in growing and reaching their full potential. Engineering leads at EA are expected to live by EA's values: Be Human First, Play as One, Aim, Inspire, Listen and Improve.
Strategy and Planning:
- Create technical requirements for new services and new features
- Work with engineers, program, and product managers to balance making forward-looking technical investments, delivering new features for customers, and driving down technical debt
- Provide input for high-level planning (resource planning, effort estimate, impact/priority/risk/dependency assessment)
- Work with customers and business leaders to understand their needs and use cases for our services
- Review designs, demos and documentation to ensure team's deliverables meets requirements
- Promote improvements (process, tooling) to increase engineering productivity and product quality.
- Participate in sprint execution. Assist team with estimation, risk and dependency management, overcoming technical challenges and removing roadblocks to ensure delivery
- Provide feedback to help your team support career development and learning
- Recognize team members and align rewards with performance
- Hands-on development – you lead by example
- Interview and hire engineers according to resource planning
- Coaching and mediation skills
- Experience managing and project planning for a 5+ team
- Technical leadership and mentoring experience
- Experience with all phases of product development lifecycle, including requirement definition, development, test, and product release
- 7+ years Java/J2EE experience
- Experience with stress testing plus performance tuning and optimization
- Excellent debugging and optimization skills working in a multi-threaded environment
- Experience assessing, troubleshooting and mitigating issues in live environments
- Knowledge of high traffic services and highly scalable systems
- Knowledge of relational or NoSQL database
- Experience with cloud computing technologies such as Envoy, Istio, Kubernetes including auto scaling and elastic load balancing
- Knowledge of gRPC and protobuf
- Knowledge of scalable data storage and processing technologies such as Cassandra, Apache Spark and AWS S3
- Experience working within the games industries
Community / Marketing Title: Software Engineering Manager - Gameplay Services
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: About EA At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2021-09-09 16:01:18.65
EEO Employer Verbiage:
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.