Lead Combat Designer (New Game Incubation Team)
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Requisition Number: 166981
Position Title: Game Designer II
Founded in 2010 by the original creators of the Call of Duty Franchise, Respawn was created with the philosophy that when talented people have creative freedom, they'll make extraordinary games that achieve the unexpected. From our roots as an indie studio to joining the expansive roster of studios at Electronic Arts, this remains our guiding principle. We truly love what we do and want to share our passion with players worldwide. Our shipped titles include critically acclaimed multi-platform games Apex Legends, Titanfall, Titanfall 2, Star Wars™ Jedi: Fallen Order, and Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond. Join us for the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry.
You can learn more about our studio and values at respawn.com/studio.
We're looking for a highly skilled Lead Combat Designer to join our incubation team for an unannounced project. Our ideal candidate is well-versed in the areas of control mechanics, enemy design, AI behaviors, combat/weapons, class design, skills/progression, story, and boss encounters. Reporting to the Game Director, this role will focus on delivering redefining gameplay combat experiences that feel good to play at every skill level.
What you'll do...
- Collaborate with and take direction from the Game Director to take enemy designs and combat systems from concept to completion.
- Collaborate with art, code, audio, animation, visual effects to deliver enemies and combat systems that epitomize the creative vision of the game.
- Work within Unreal Engine 4 to implement character animations, script behavior trees, special effects, and system tuning.
- Research subject matter relating to the design objective to ensure the authenticity of the experience.
- Facilitate communication and coordination between relevant departments to ensure overall creative vision.
- Ability to self-critique and accept outside critique. The more feedback you receive, the more you can tailor your work towards what is best for the team.
- Incorporate coworkers’ ideas into the process.
- Participate in the research and development of new tools and design systems.
- Contribute to establishing and enforcing consistent design practices, constraints, and metrics throughout projects.
Ideally, you will have...
- 5+ years experience in the games industry working as a combat/systems designer, shipping at least one title.
- 4+ years experience designing and implementing heroes, enemies, bosses, or combat systems using visual scripting or text-based language.
- Experience with Unreal Engine 4 is ideal.
- Experience in rapid prototyping to test the feasibility of concepts.
- Expert game design sensibilities, including a superb grasp of timing and instincts of what feels right. Deep understanding of the game-play systems and mechanics, able to pro/con design decisions and the ramifications they will have on the overall experience.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to systematically break down problems logically.
- Ability to pitch design concepts in a clear, detailed manner, through strong written and verbal communication.
- Excellent collaborative communications skills - especially interdepartmental.
- CS degree is a plus.
- A passion for first-person shooter games is a major plus.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio and we will get back to you once we have reviewed it.
In addition to opportunities for creative impact and professional growth which come with being a member of our team, working at Respawn has many other perks and benefits! Learn more at respawn.com/perks.
Community / Marketing Title: Lead Combat Designer (New Game Incubation Team)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: About EA At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2021-07-13 22:25:04.613
EEO Employer Verbiage:
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.