Senior Associate, Music Licensing
Multiple Locations: New York, United States • Los Angeles, California, United States
Requisition Number: 166939
Position Title: Sr. Business Development Associate
The Business Development team is seeking a Senior Associate responsible for preparing quotes, managing data and contracts, and clearing music for EA games, products and promotions in addition to supporting the Music Marketing and Licensing teams with contract administrations.
The ideal candidate will have experience within the gaming, music and digital media industries with respect to all aspects of music licenses and clearances. This includes building, fostering and maintaining relationships internally and with licensor/licensee contacts. The ability to successfully work cross functionally in a matrixed organization is essential. This position will report to the Sr. Director, Business Development & Affairs.
Music Licensing: The Sr. Associate, Music Licensing is responsible for supporting the Sr. Manager, Music Licensing as well as handling music clearances for all games and content produced at EA, which is a very high volume and deadline-oriented business. These responsibilities include:
Marketing Licenses: Negotiate license fees for Marketing Trailers and Support Sr. Manager on in game needs
- Liaise closely with Marketing video producers to establish and confirm music required for trailers, advertisements, promotions and other media and the budget and time constraints for each. Support Sr. Manager, Music Licensing on any additional in game quoting and clearance as requested.
- Research rights holders for each song and enter all record labels, side artists, publishers, song writers, splits and contact information into the Trevanna database,
- Draft clearance requests for each rights holder.
- Prepare clearance requests and confirmation letters for synchronization agreements, master licenses, soundtracks, and music library licenses that are favorable to EA and within each team’s respective budget allowance and timing parameters. Note requests for music in marketing assets are often on very short timeframes with very limited notice.
- Draft music credits for video assets at the completion of each product and report them to the necessary parties.
- Draft and finalize master and/or synchronization licenses with each rights holder.
- Notify the Music, Marketing and Development teams of any required deal terms and all approaching license term end dates or options.
Transaction Negotiation and Execution
- Work closely with Sr. Manager, Music Licensing and legal affairs peers.
- Build, foster, and grow relationships with music licensors to maintain the current rates and continue negotiating favorable future fees.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders throughout the contract negotiation process to negotiate fees aligned with their business plan and budget.
Internal Collaboration and Influence
- Partner and build strong relationships with internal EA teams, but in particular the Music Marketing and Marketing Production teams.
- Collaborate with internal client groups and corporate partners across EA key business units to prepare, negotiate and successfully conclude music licenses. Ability to work effectively with peers across cross functional departments.
- Provide skilled advice and recommendations on music licensing opportunities.
- Build strong relationships across cross-functional teams at EA as the main point of contact for Music Licensing.
Contract and Finance Administration:
- Prepare, track and administer all executed licenses and confirmation letters, and prepare for invoicing, PO’s, and track payment in conjunction with Finance teams.
- Input data and deal terms for all music clearances and licenses, including expiration, renewal and option dates, in the Trevanna data base.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Demonstrate relevant work experience (3+ years) in music clearance and licensing and ideally within games, entertainment, and digital media.
- Be very organized, detail oriented, and able to manage multiple tasks at once.
- Ability to work in a high deal volume and high-speed work environment.
- Knowledge and understanding of music publishing and recording copyrights plus previous relationships in the music industry are required.
- Strong ability to collaborate with teams from different business units across multiple functions.
- Solution-oriented approach.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Desire and capacity to stay current on rapidly evolving competitive landscape, expanding technologies, global market dynamics, and cross-industry synergies.
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Associate, Music Licensing
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: About EA At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2021-07-14 21:21:13.3
EEO Employer Verbiage:
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.