Associate Technical Director - EAX Quality Engineering (QE)
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Requisition Number: 165739
Position Title: Associate Technical Director
EAX is responsible for the development and delivery of some of EA’s biggest products, including Origin, EA Play, and the new EA Desktop App. The EAX Quality Verification (QV) team is a cross-functional group that manages the releases and quality operations of those products. As part of the EAX Quality Engineering team, you will have the opportunity to work with some of the most cutting edge web technologies on the market today, while supporting the development team in its effort to release world class features for EA’s Player Network initiatives.
As part of EAX’s Data & Content Delivery team, you will be responsible for guiding the automated testing strategy for EAX’s underlying APIs and services that serve millions of players around the world. You will be an advocate for automation and quality, leading key initiatives to ensure that software is released using automated gating mechanisms so that our releases meet our highest quality standards. You will be initiating and leading a team responsible for the automation of tests, and infrastructure needed to ensure the continuous delivery of EAX’s products and services. You would collaborate with the tooling team on any additional tooling and services required to maintain and release the software automatically at quality.
In your day-to-day activities, you will be working with agile development teams, taking part in daily stand-ups, sprint planning, retrospectives and backlog grooming while helping to identify and fill gaps in test coverage. You will contribute heavily to your team’s suite of processes, and best practices, while collaborating with development leadership to identify process and tool improvements, product scope changes, and plan priorities and approaches for test execution.
What you will do
- Implement the automation strategy for Continuous-Delivery of high quality and stable builds for APIs and services that reach millions of users
- Be the main point of contact for questions related to the state of automation for our development partners
- Lead and mentor a team of quality engineers for scrum teams
- Define and deliver on quality metrics, goals and OKRs for QE team
- Improve quality engineering processes, best practices, & developer workflows in collaboration with the EM and the ATD on the team
- Collaborate with development partners in understanding the technical direction, design, and architecture to assist with better testing approaches
- Hands-on development for more centralized tools and techniques
- Actively participate in prioritization, project scoping, planning, design, and execution
- Investigate complex problems and live site issues and drive root cause analysis (RCA).
- Report to the engineering manager and align on the automation plans and tactics to ensure that the right efforts are prioritized
Skills and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, & 5+ years relevant work experience
- 4+ years of experience with test automation and have a QA mindset, passionate about quality
- Strong understanding of QA methodologies and framework.
- Good understanding of full stack software development.
- Knowledgeable about architecture & system design best practices, including scalability & performance considerations
- Strong understanding of modern web technologies including REST APIs, GraphQL, and other backend service development
- Understanding of common architectural and design patterns
- Experience with Continuous-Delivery, and Agile development, including feature flags and experimentation frameworks is a huge plus
- Experience developing and supporting API services at scale
- Familiarity with event-driven and streaming architectures such as ActiveMQ and Kafka
- Experience using Git and related tools like GitLab, GitHub, Bitbucket etc
- Experience mentoring peers and less senior developers
- Exposure to production deployment practices, including monitoring log files and conducting rollbacks
- Experience with a cloud provider (especially AWS) and Kubernetes
- Experience with microservices and high-complexity API services
You’ll work closely with
- Quality designers, other technical directors, engineering managers and development directors to deliver quality engineering solutions for our development partners
- Technical leadership and other groups to determine, road map and provide the best technical strategy and engineering standards to allow our business direction
Community / Marketing Title: Associate Technical Director - EAX Quality Engineering (QE)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: About EA At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2021-05-10 20:55:18.743
EEO Employer Verbiage:
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.