Technical Art Director
Location: Redwood City, California, United States
Requisition Number: 165079
Position Title: Technical Art Director
Senior Technical Artist Generalist - Maxis
Location: EA Redwood Shores; Open to Remote for most North America locations
At Maxis, we excel at outrageous thinking. It's the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We're trailblazers and great storytellers. But it's not just about amazing your peers – it's about amazing yourself and our fans. Take risks. Work with dazzling minds and dare to dream big. Together, we can change the way millions play every day. The Sims 4 has an extremely unique player base, with 60% of our audience being women between the ages of 18-24. We are looking for someone with deep insights on how to create the best experience for our players.
Maxis is looking for a Technical Artist Generalist. We have projects in both production and pre production phases, and we are looking for teammates to collaborate with to bring our new characters & worlds to life. If you are passionate about bringing the latest trends in technology to bear against your craft, and working with others to develop outstanding experiences for our IPs … come join our team. You will report to the studio Technical Art Director.
- Work with Technical & Art Directors, Engineers, and Art Discipline Leads to develop industry-leading content pipelines.
- Develop tools and workflows to empower world building, character, and animation artists to create outstanding content.
- Develop and maintain pipelines supporting large libraries of game art content in live service ecosystems.
- Work with TDs and TADs to develop content performance plans, and monitor performance to provide performance guidance, based on established metrics and reporting methods.
- Develops tools, pipelines, & processes for performance management aligned towards meeting art production goals.
- Firefight production issues, investigating hot issues and resolving roadblocks.
- Work with Technical Art partners across EA to develop and share pipelines and best practices.
- Keep up with the latest trends and technical tools for developing content and inspire others through knowledge sharing.
- 6+ years of tech art, tech animation, and world development experience in Maya for video games.
- Served as a Senior Tech Artist on a published (or soon to be) video game project.
- Experience working in Unreal Editor.
- Experience with Unreal Blueprint and asset scripting.
- Expert proficiency with Maya and modern DCC applications.
- Proficiency in Python & Mel (C# and other languages.)
- Experience writing tools to aid animators, character, and object artist workflows.
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively across multiple disciplines to achieve team technical objectives.
- Ability to communicate thru solid documentation of developed pipelines and workflows.
- Experience in Perforce or other version control software.
- Well versed in Shotgun, Jira or other bug tracking and project management software.
- Experience developing for iOS/Android.
- Experience developing for console hardware (XB1/XBX/PS4/PS5).
- Machine learning experience, with applications to content creation.
- Experience with Unreal Lighting, Post, and Niagara Visual Effects systems.
- In-depth experience creating and maintaining high-end character rigs.
- Experience in working with keyframe animation and motion capture data, troubleshooting motion data issues, and ensuring animation best practices.
- Experience developing and maintaining animation blend trees.
- The ability to read and write shader source code using HLSL or GLSL.
- Experience with shader networks and procedural texturing.
- Solid understanding of PBR rendering and material / light interactions.
- Skills in Substance Designer & Painter workflows.
- Houdini procedural workflow experience.
- Background in photography, painting, concept art, or animation.
Community / Marketing Title: Technical Art Director
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: About EA At Electronic Arts, we exist to Inspire the World to Play. We create extraordinary new game experiences for our millions of players everywhere by bringing together talented people that combine creativity, innovation, and passion. We know that our strength lies in the diversity of our people. We immerse our employees into an inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for learning and leading that allow them to do the most impactful and rewarding work of their careers. We put our people first. We provide comprehensive benefit packages with a focus on health and wellbeing to support your needs and help you balance your career and personal life. We provide access to dynamic and collaborative work environments, opportunities to connect and contribute through our Employee Resource Groups, and support for a balanced life with paid time off and new parent leave, plus free video games and so much more! Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2021-03-31 21:21:55.71
EEO Employer Verbiage:
We exist to inspire the world to play. Through innovative technology and immersive storytelling, we deliver new ways of experiencing worlds of interactive entertainment for our millions of players worldwide. Our strength lies in the diversity of our people, combining creativity, innovation and passion. We fully champion inclusive culture, and provide opportunities for growing, learning, and leading that allows for the most impactful and rewarding work of our teams’ careers.
We put our people first, and we make sure they’re taken care of both in and out of the office. As we reflect on our learnings and successes from remote work, we aim to provide dynamic, collaborative and flexible work environments for our teams. Our employees connect through our Employee Resource Groups, which are actively involved in driving business decisions every step of the way. But our support doesn’t end at the workplace—we also encourage a balanced lifestyle with paid time off and new parent leave, free video games, fitness reimbursement and more.
Our goal is to provide a safe, respectful and inspiring workplace for all of our employees. Through our diversity, equity, inclusion and social responsibility programs, we’re doing the work to give everyone the space to be their full selves while giving back to our community. We’re looking for problem-solvers, game-changers, innovators, dreamers, doers—people that are ready to move the needle and build on our success. As our industry accelerates, we aren’t just keeping up—we’re staying ahead of the game.
Electronic Arts is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Electronic Arts also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.