Technical Director, Gameplay
Multiple Locations: Redwood City, California, United States • Los Angeles, California, United States • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada • Brampton, Ontario, Canada • Sacramento, California, United States • Orlando, Florida, United States • Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States • Austin, Texas, United States • Seattle, Washington, United States • Pasadena, California, United States
Requisition Number: 162561
Position Title: Technical Director I
As a member of the Special Projects in Applied Research and Collaboration Team, you will develop ground-breaking game features and engine enhancements in close collaboration with EA's development teams. You will be a part of an organic team solving a variety of technical challenges beginning from proof of concept to implementation for titles across EA. An important priority for this group is to partner with EA’s specialized research teams to create meaningful applications relevant to the business.
The SPARC Team is looking for a Gameplay Technical Director to join our team. You will partner with design leads alongside senior engineering leadership from several game teams at EA to develop a comprehensive gameplay strategy for EA Studios. This strategy will use the future roadmaps of the Frostbite Engine Team alongside important technology innovations of the game teams within EA Studios. The Gameplay TD will implement the strategy with a new team driving aspects of it, while working with existing partner teams in the company.
What the Gameplay Technical Director will do at SPARC
- You will work with the Technical Design Directors and Gameplay Tech Directors from studios to agree on an EA Studios gameplay strategy
- Work with the Frostbite Engine Team to accelerate aspects of their roadmap that require active game team iteration
- Achieve a set of industry best gameplay workflows for EA Studios
- Build a team of gameplay experts to build the aligned strategy
- Champion systems and project metric collection, analysis and use
- Manage Technical Risks and Mitigation plans for the gameplay strategy
- Gather requirements from both game and central engineering teams to guide technical designs. Improve software architecture for technology, pipeline and tools
- Audit the team’s development plans including technical designs, processes, resource usage, task estimates, quality and risk for technical completion and quality
- Provide trouble shooting, debugging and assistance
- You will report into the VP, Head of Technology overseeing the SPARC team
Who You Are?
- Experience in leadership positions with technology backgrounds, or experience as a technical director/gameplay lead programmer in production of large high-quality game(s)
- Experience building scalable, stable, and secure architectures, in a live service environment
- Excellent coding and debugging skills
- Deep experience with a variety of programming languages and tools. Expertise in C++.
- A passionate gamer with an interest in following the advancement industry technologies
- B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 5 or more years of games industry experience
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
We love to brag about our great perks like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, RRSP company match and, of course, many other perks! And since we realize it takes outstanding people to make excellent games, we offer great benefits packages and a culture that is powered by creativity.
Community / Marketing Title: Technical Director, Gameplay
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2020-09-24 15:41:19.553
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.