Senior Technical Director, Engineering (EAX)
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Requisition Number: 162010
Position Title: Technical Director II
Senior Technical Director -- Engineering (EAX)
At our core, Electronic Arts is a game maker that connects hundreds of millions of players from around the globe to some of the world’s greatest games. The EAX team is driving the strategy and implementation of important programs for EA’s community of players to connect them to one another and to the games they love to play. These programs include: EA Access, our cross-platform subscription on Origin, PS4, Xbox One and soon on Steam: Origin, EA’s gaming service on PC; and a host of other consumer experiences and strategies to connect friends across platforms and within our games.
In your role as Senior TD on the EAX engineering team, you will build a strong team and depending on requirements, delivering a set of varied technical capabilities, across graphql layers, web application, design systems, client application, publishing pipelines and an SRE function. This means building an awesome team, partnering with the teams and responsibilities that your teams will support, always with an eye on how to achieve the best quality capabilities and services that our players can rely on. As part of the broader Engineering leadership team, you will be an essential contributor to the EAX team based in our Still Creek location.
Joining EAX means joining the team shaping EA’s subscription services now spanning three major platforms; building consumer experiences that power EA’s games and promoting more personalized, socially connected, and frictionless experiences; and expand our platforms across web, PC, mobile, the cloud and beyond so our players can get into the games they want to play and stay connected while playing. We like to say that “we see farther”, and are committed to driving innovation to meet player needs today and in the future.
You’re someone with a proven track record for:
- Leading and motivating large global engineering teams, with an understanding of operational considerations for shipping product to tens or hundreds of millions of users, including live service support considerations
- Maintaining calm. You know how to motivate and energize your teams.
- Providing internal services and capabilities to internal customers as well and and users.
You also bring the following skills or experiences to our team:
- 10+ years of relevant experience
- Broad technical experience including an advanced understanding of patterns across: Full stack software development, Content/Publishing, Design System, and SRE
- Experience with Continuous Delivery, and Agile development, including feature flags and experimentation frameworks
- Among others, experience across back-end graphQL and REST APIs, frontend build tools such as npm scripts and webpack, React/Redux and Angular, AWS, CI tooling
- Understanding of common architectural and design patterns
- Experience with Design Systems and how they contribute to quality and consistency
- Expertise in optimizing solutions.
- Nice to haves for this role are experience with the Qt framework, GraphQL at scale, Node.js, Apollo, React/React Native, SRE principles, public cloud, CMS solutions, git, p4, JIRA.
In a typical week, the Sr Technical Director could be…
- Reviewing architecture for a new solution which needs to scale to tens of millions of players
- Optimizing processes or the developer workflow
- Helping your teams write high quality goals/OKRs
- Coaching and mentoring your reports and teams
You’ll build relationships and work with…
- Product Management, Design, Reliability Engineering, Content Publishing, Quality Verification and Automation teams, and vendors to ensure product requirements are met at-quality and meeting indicators.
- Technical leadership and other groups to determine, road map and provide the best technical strategy and engineering standards to allow our business direction
Your teams, to attract and motivate top engineering talent, create and foster a diverse development and sharing culture, determine and support team growth strategy, and mentor leaders in the development, quality and SRE spaces
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Technical Director, Engineering (EAX)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2020-08-06 16:49:41.793
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.