Senior Character Artist
Location: Redwood City, California, United States
Requisition Number: 159825
Position Title: Senior Character Artist
Senior Character Artist | Maxis | Redwood Shores
Maxis is looking for a Senior Character Artist to help establish the look and pipeline of our characters for a new, unannounced project. If you are a character artist who is great at stylization, artistic interpretation and a deep experience in character pipelines, bringing the latest trends in technology to bear against your craft, and mentoring others to develop excellent experiences for our IP … come join our team.
You will work with the Art Director and Technical Leads to establish visual standards and technical specifications of characters for the project.
You will also participate in RnD of the asset creation methods and pipelines designed to add new design-driven features unique for the project.
In addition to creating high quality character models and materials, you guide junior members of the team and external partners to deliver work that meets the project standards. You will seek opportunities to enhance the game, enjoy finding latest technologies that improve the pipeline, embrace constructive feedback, and grow in a collaborative environment.
You will report to one of our studio Development Directors.
- Work with the Art Director and technical partners to define and refine the look and feel of characters for the project.
- Work with Technical Art, Engineering and other artists to develop the character creation and integration pipeline.
- Research latest modeling techniques and convey them to the Technical Art team.
- Create high-quality character models and materials/shaders including in-game and high-resolution assets.
- Update style and technical documents for the character art team.
- Work with Technical Artists to create and improve tools and workflows.
- Actively participate in milestone planning and reviews.
- Work within deadlines and display strong time management skills.
- Provide mentorship for junior team members.
- Review work from external partners and provide feedback.
- Minimum of 5 years of production experience as a character artist.
- Have served as a Senior or Lead Character Artist on a published title and have shipping experience on multiple game titles.
- Mastery in industry standard software like Maya, ZBrush, Substance Painter/Designer and Photoshop.
- Experience with scale, proportion, surface properties, and human anatomy.
- Demonstrated ability in character stylization
- Knowledge of character setup and rigging.
- Demonstrate understanding of the key topology principles for human body and face, animals, cloth, hair, props.
- Understanding of current gen video game tech methods and their implications for the character creation pipeline, for example: PBR, dynamics, displacement, parallax, SSS, shader animation.
- Experience working with designers, animators, riggers, engineers to develop new solution/tool/tech/pipeline.
- Experience working with video game engines and implementing 3D work into the pipeline.
- Ability to create shaders/materials using painting and node-based techniques (e.g. Substance Painter and Designer)
- Knowledge of high-poly to low-poly surface baking
- Passion for making and playing games
- Cloth simulation.
- Knowledge of scripting (Python, Max Script, Maya mel)
- Experience working with remote teams (outsourcing).
Materials required for Application
- Portfolio or Reel (through website, blog, or online gallery) demonstrating examples of stylized characters and several examples of the topology
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Character Artist
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2020-02-26 21:53:34.727
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.