Multiple Locations: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada • Redwood City, California, United States
Requisition Number: 160586
Position Title: Technical Director I
Backend/Server Technical Director - MAXIS
At EA, we excel at outrageous thinking. It’s the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We’re great storytellers. But it’s not just about amazing your peers – it’s about amazing yourself. Take risks. Work with great minds and dare to dream big. Together, we can change the way millions play every day.
Technical Director for Maxis Studios.
- Lead Maxis’ backend/server team
- Determine and oversee the backend/server technology strategy for Maxis’ games.
- Look ahead for, evaluate and recommend technology choices for building responsive scalable game backend services.
- Conscious of server operating costs. Being aware of the cost of running live servers and experience minimizing those expenses.
- Mentor technical leads on the backend design principles.
- Develop responsive, massively scalable, highly available game servers and services supporting multiple games.
- Creatively blend security best practices and original techniques to keep user data secure and prevent cheating.
- Apply and improve server deployment and troubleshooting strategies that maximize uptime.
- Drive design and implementation of APIs and protocols that are consistent, formalized, and testable.
- Oversee and work with team members (designers, QE, client engineers & production teams) to align service goals & architecture to meet evolving requirements of games in Live Service.
- Mentor other developers, review their work, and make recommendations for improvement.
- Reports to Engineer Leader
- A passion for playing and making awesome games!
- A desire to create scalable game servers and services using modern technology for diverse games.
- Experience building large-scale live services for at least one game.
- A respect for accomplished specialists and a healthy level of paranoia to motivate a security-centric approach.
- Understanding of stable change management practices in a live service environment.
- Experience with technical leadership & mentoring a team of versatile (full stack) engineers.
- Expert level programming skills – preference for experienced Java developers, but other languages are welcome too.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure or Google App Engine.
- Hands on experience and willingness to create multiple short lived prototypes.
- Broad experience with some of the following:
- Frameworks (e.g. Spring boot)
- Build tools (e.g, Gradle, SBT, Maven)
- Static analysis tools (e.g., Coverity, Sonar, PMD)
- Test frameworks (e.g., JUnit, TestNG, Spring)
- Linux scripting (e.g., Bash, Python, Groovy)
- Social APIs / 3rd Party SDK Integration
- Redis / Memcached data caching solutions
- Kotlin / JVM based languages
- Familiarity with Linux Systems Administration and scripting experience.
- Experience shipping games built with Unreal or Unity is good to have.
Community / Marketing Title: Technical Director
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2020-04-02 20:00:13.527
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.