Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Requisition Number: 160474
Position Title: Senior Environment Artist
EA Create Art is a highly engaged content creation team within EA Studios. We create all art content for
EA Vancouver’s line-up of games, including our successful Sports titles – FIFA, NHL, and UFC – as well as supporting several other genres of games. Partnering directly with our development teams, we share a unified passion for creating amazing experiences, and industry leading visuals.
What the World Artist will do at EA Vancouver:
With an interest in creating content for both level-based games, as well as our Sports titles, we are looking for artists with proven expertise in: world/level creation, hard surface assets, material creation, as well as Worlds generalists.
Along with a proven ability to deliver to production schedules, we are looking for a proactive team player with the passion to create best-in-class art content, and the drive to explore new workflows and methods of execution.
With the landscape of art production rapidly evolving, a solid understanding of current and forward-looking production techniques, along with how and when to use them, is critical to this role. This may include: physically based materials, 3D paint (e.g. Substance Painter), high end modeling techniques, level creation, photogrammetry and content driven workflows.
Working with the Art Leads, Art Directors and other project disciplines, you will use your art production experience to work effectively and efficiently, taking into account: technical constraints, time, quality expectations, resources and project scope
Along with the current roster of games, as a cross-project team and part of the larger EA Studios organization, we have exciting times ahead. This is an opportunity to be a key player in defining our future for art production and pushing the bar for visual excellence.
• Creating high quality benchmark content, from individual assets to entire levels, sets, or stadiums/arenas
• Prototyping visuals and R+D projects, to problem solve and devise best practices
• Working with Art Directors, Art Leads and Technical Leads, and delivering on their vision and requirements.
• Be an active team player in continuing to create and drive world class Worlds content
• Provide mentorship and artistic guidance to more junior artists
• Participate in group reviews
What the World Artist needs to have:
• Expert knowledge of Maya, Max, Modo, or similar 3D modeling software
• Proficiency with ZBrush is desirable (for sculpting assets)
• Exceptional ability to create both organic and man-made / hard surface assets
• Ability to adapt to different art styles, including photorealistic and stylized
• Ability to convey a sense of ‘story’ in a scene or game asset – considering age, weathering, and context
• Strong sense of scene composition with a superior eye for lighting, colour, and detail
• Knowledge of high and low-poly modeling techniques, along with high-to-low-poly surface baking
• An excellent understanding of physical materials and how to replicate them in CG
• Ability to paint believable surfaces, using industry standard software (ideally Substance Painter)
• Ability to create node-based materials is a plus (e.g. Substance Designer)
• An understanding of the entire game art production process, from concept through to final
• Experience working with content driven game engines (e.g. Unreal / Unity)
• Knowledge of terrain creation (both modeled and procedurally generated) is an advantage
• Willingness and ability to adapt to new processes and pipelines
• Proactive approach with high degree of self-motivation and initiative
• Desire and drive to learn, improve, and constantly evolve the craft
• Positive attitude with a passion to collaborate and desire to bring new ideas forward
• Knowledgeable and keeps current with best practices in game art production and software applications
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
We love to brag about our great perks like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, RRSP company match and, of course, many other perks! And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “/play hard” credo every day.
More about our location: http://careers.ea.com/our-locations/burnaby-eac
Community / Marketing Title: Environment Artist
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2020-03-24 21:52:34.747
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.