Technical Character Artist
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Requisition Number: 160441
Position Title: Senior Character Artist
Technical Character Artist
EA Create is a highly engaged content creation team within EA Worldwide Studios. We are creatively driven and focused on high end visual production across multiple genres and art styles. Working with our game team partners around the world, we share a unified passion for creating amazing experiences and industry leading visuals. We are adventurous and creative. We are courageous, and we take chances. We are looking for pioneers who cut new paths and overcome challenges with tenacity and determination. We look for the best in everyone.
In partnership with Motive Vancouver, we are seeking a Technical Character Artist to join a pre-production team developing a New IP. We are looking for a candidate who can work on-site in at our Vancouver studio in Burnaby, BC for the duration of the project (from pre-production to product launch.)
What the Technical Character Artist does:
● Researches, investigates, and drives the development of ideal character core topologies (body, head, face) that support extensive user-driven customization
● Researches and develops technical solutions for effectively and efficiently creating character clothing and character customization content
● Partner with Design, Engineering, and Art to define technical requirements and evaluate solutions for implementation of character customization systems
● Partners with Animation and Rigging to define requirements and technical challenges for effective character setup, including investigation / development of tech for secondary animation / simulation, cloth and hair authoring tools and technology, and advanced deformer systems.
● Develops and communicates content structures for characters, that allow for scalable approaches to both tech and content development.
● Stays Current with and consistently Exhibits a high degree of technical knowledge about current state-of-the-industry in Character content generation approaches and workflows.
● Work with Artists, Technical Artists, Tools Software Engineers & Rendering Software Engineers to convert prototype content generation solutions into production content generation workflows.
● Establish technical standards and production processes to guide the TA and SE team’s work to ensure that their work achieves needed content implementation goals while also meeting performance standards and best practices.
● Attend all planning and team meetings; Build user stories and generate time estimates for project planning.
Who You Are:
● At least 6+ years of cinematic/games production experience. The ideal candidate has completed more than 3 AAA games/movies.
● A bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in a related field is desired.
● Highly adept at communicating with different audiences: artists, engineers, managers.
● Expert knowledge of a 2D and 3D art packages: Maya/Photoshop required. Houdini/Substance Designer a bonus.
● An aptitude for problem solving, particularly as it pertains to testing and debugging technical issues as it relates to making functional and performant content.
● A willingness to jump into the unknown and solve new problems; the ability to think creatively to resolve technical challenges and limitations.
● Capability to Model, Skin, Rig, and Texture to support Content/Tool/Tech Prototyping
● Experienced with Cloth and Hair Authoring technologies (Run-Time Solutions ideal)
● Experienced with interacting with / developing content and approaches for Character Customization systems
● Proficiency for scripting / programming in Python and/or C# highly desired
● Experience with Photogrammetry techniques as applied to production challenges
● Ability to work with other Technical Artists and Engineers to ensure scalability of character content across platforms of varying levels of capability (high-end PC to mobile)
● Able to work with artists and designers to determine tool and workflow requirements.
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
We love to brag about our great perks like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, RRSP company match and, of course, many other perks! And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “/play hard” credo every day.
More about our location: http://careers.ea.com/our-locations/burnaby-eac
Community / Marketing Title: Technical Character Artist
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2020-03-20 16:09:00.91
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.