Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Requisition Number: 160087
Position Title: Character Artist 2
Character Artist (Temporary Full Time) – AAA
We are looking for an accomplished and experienced Character Artist to join an established, experienced team of developers working on a AAA first person shooter in development at EA Vancouver. This is an opportunity to join a veteran team and help create the vision and execution of a compelling, immersive experience.
Create Art is a highly engaged content creation team within EA Studios. We are creatively driven and focused on high-end visual production across multiple genres and art styles. Our art studios are in Vancouver, Orlando, Guildford, Gothenburg, and Shanghai. Collaborating directly with our game team partners we share a unified passion for creating amazing experiences, and industry leading visuals. We are adventurous and creative. We are courageous and we take chances. We are looking for pioneers who cut new paths and conquer challenges with fierce determination
What a Character Artist does at EA:
The character artist is an essential role in video game creation. They will create the cast of characters to populate the rich universe of the AAA action title. A character artist is a dynamic and efficient modeler with sculpting and texturing skills – able to create outstanding content along with an imagination that is always in motion. Someone who can create amazing models based on 2D concept art or 3D concept models.
The next great Character Artist also needs:
- 6+ years of experience in videogames. Film and television would also be considered.
- Production experience with character creation
- Excellent creature and human anatomical understanding.
- Sculpting, texturing and game-ready asset creation abilities.
- Experience with PBR materials and shaders.
- An ability for understanding clothing and cloth materials.
- Ability to work in a team and take direction in a constructive fashion.
- Knowledge of high fidelity modeling techniques, along with high-poly to low-poly surface/detail baking
- Expert knowledge of Maya, Max, Modo, or similar 3D modeling software
- Knowledge of PBR texture/material workflows
- Experience working with content driven game engines (e.g. Unreal, Frostbite, Unity) is an advantage
- Ability to visualize in three dimensions and work from limited reference material/concept art
- Ability to convey a sense of ‘story’ and character in a game asset – taking into account age, weathering and context etc.
- Strong sense of proportion and composition with a eye for surface, colour, and detail
- Ability to ramp quickly with proprietary tools
- Experience in cloth simulation is a desired skillset
- Experience in hard surface modeling is a benefit
- Character modeling and texturing
- UV layout and all the maps used
- Assets surfaced using 3D paint software, e.g. Substance Painter / Mari
- Examples to demonstrate understanding of physically based material properties
- stylized based assets are a plus
Community / Marketing Title: Character Artist
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2020-03-02 18:36:07.813
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.