Software Engineer (Animation)
Location: Guildford, England, United Kingdom
Requisition Number: 159791
Position Title: Software Engineer II
We’re Criterion, and we love making games!
For more than fifteen years we’ve entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. Our talented people have expressed their passion for world-class game feel, AAA audiovisual quality and technical innovation in the Burnout & Need for Speed series and and more recently in Battlefield 1, Star Wars X-Wing VR, Starfighter Assault and Arcade for Star Wars Battlefront II and Firestorm for Battlefield V.
We believe that healthy, engaged teams make great games, so we place enormous value on collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. We’d love to hear yours! Crunch doesn’t help make a better game. We don’t do it. For the past three years we are very proud to have been recognised by gamesindustry.biz as one of the best places to work in the UK. Let’s talk about how you could be a part of it.
What an Animation Engineer does at Criterion:
- Design and develop new content creation tools, workflow tools and general productivity tools
- Support Designers using tools and workflows with debugging tools, documentation and usability
- Work with designers & animators to understand requirements and plan out functional requirements
- Design, architect and document technical designs for Animation systems
- Rapidly prototype new mechanics to prove designs and iterate on mechanics
- Work with the Frostbite Engine and Frostbite Team to develop shareable code and interface correctly with the engine
- Identify bottlenecks and performance issues involving CPU time and bandwidth and improve them
- Provide solutions that consider multi-threading, hardware requirements, skeleton optimisations
An Animation Engineer also needs:
- Experience with Animation features such as skeletons, rigs, animation compression, blending, ragdolls, IK, procedural animation solutions, motion fields, character physics, secondary motion
- Experience with Data-driven State Machines
- Experience with Animator tools to control blending, controller trees, and transitions
- Passion for Animation technologies
- Proficiency with C++
- Multi-threaded programming and debugging experience
- Experience with Agile development philosophies
- Experience with Unit testing frameworks a bonus
- Respond to Code Review feedback and provide quality Code Review feedback
- Knowledge of source code management
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
- Great compensation package plus annual bonus scheme
- Central location in Guildford (5 minutes from main train station)
- Private medical insurance & dental care
- Pension scheme
- Life insurance
- Stock plans
- Free onsite gym
- Employee discounts
- Rail season ticket loan
- Annual game points and digital download allowance
- Onsite café
- 25 days holiday (including 3 days company shutdown days between Christmas & New Year)
- Two annual staff parties (Summer & Christmas)
- Casual dress code
- Games Area
We thought you might also want to know:
- More about our studio: http://criteriongames.com
- More about our location: http://careers.ea.com/our-locations/guildford
Take your career to the next level – apply today!
Community / Marketing Title: Software Engineer (Animation)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2020-02-03 10:23:35.1
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.