Software Engineer (Quality)
Location: Guildford, England, United Kingdom
Requisition Number: 159714
Position Title: Software Engineer III
We are EA
And we make games – how cool is that? In fact, we entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. That’s why we employ the most creative, passionate people.
We are Criterion
Over the last fifteen years we’ve entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. From Burnout & Need for Speed to the critically acclaimed VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront, Criterion have always pushed the boundaries, delivering through technical excellence, outstanding game feel and AAA audiovisual quality.
We place enormous value on creative collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. Our studio is a healthy mix of industry veterans and newcomers working together to inspire, support, and educate one another. We encourage free experimentation, innovation and exploration very with regular “off-the-grid” time.
Criterion don’t put people in boxes. Folks here have freedom to navigate their careers the way their hearts take them – we’re not big on labels. Our features are built by teams who choose to work together, encouraging cross-discipline crack squads to solve the toughest problems.
The working day has space carved out for everyone to play games – by themselves or together, be they table-top or video games, we love them all. Learning from the widest range of experiences makes our own games better.
The Opportunity Ahead
As an engineer with the Criterion Quality Verification Engineering (QVE) Team and as a member of the worldwide Quality Verification (QV) organisation, you will help ensure that a game will always be stable through every stage of development. You will be tasked to promote the development of and set a new bar for one of the most advanced, feature-complete automation platforms to power the development and testing of games played by hundreds of millions of gamers worldwide.
Your role will be to improve the creation experience for developers, and the ultimate game quality experience for our players. While also using automated testing, workflow tools, development services and data insights to promote industry-defining game quality by identifying defects earlier, building confidence to support high-quality games changes and getting as much information as possible to fix defects.
You’ll partner closely with colleagues and peers within the QV group, as a part of a greater organisation that shapes the services necessary to provide essential, foundational services to studio teams working on the latest and greatest games. All in all, this is an opportunity to determine what automation and game testing means within game development.
What a Software Engineer for the QVE Team Does at EA Criterion
- Work with other engineering and development teams to understand and analyse requirements, problem areas and translate them into technical designs, which are reviewed and agreed upon by relevant parties.
- Lead technical design and implementation of features for advanced game automation services and infrastructure.
- Technically guide, inspire and empower other engineers on your team.
- Design underlying database schema, interfaces, and plan for capacity.
- Implement high-quality code with comprehensive unit testing.
- Be an expert in your area.
- Fix bugs raised from stabilisation, integration and production.
- Work on migrating legacy systems to new platforms.
- Troubleshoot issues raised from production and resolve customer problems.
- Critically evaluate and adopt technologies which improve team efficiency and platform capabilities.
- Code review peer developer’s code and share feedback to ensure consistency and quality of code.
- Employ JIRA to organise and manage development tasks and backlog.
You Will Need
- Deep Expertise with Java, C# or C++ and solid computer science background including Algorithm and Data Structures.
- Experience of automated testing services, systems and methodologies for large-scale automated software testing, preferably within games.
- Familiar with or have worked previously within different engineering disciplines of game development, whether graphic programming, networking engineering, engine development, etc. and able to explain concepts and ask
- Passion about customer, partner and quality
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
- Great compensation package
- Central location in Guildford (5 minutes from main train station)
- Private medical insurance and dental care
- Pension scheme
- Life insurance
- Stock plans
- Free onsite gym
- Employee discounts
- Rail season ticket loan
- Annual game points and digital download allowance
- Onsite café
- 25 days holiday (including 3 days company shutdown days between Christmas & New Year)
- Two annual staff parties (Summer and Christmas)
- Casual dress code
- Games Area
Community / Marketing Title: Software Engineer (Quality)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2020-02-28 12:12:06.747
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.