Associate Art Director
Location: Shanghai, Shanghai, China
Requisition Number: 159496
Position Title: Associate Art Director
Position: Art Director
Location: Shanghai, China
# of openings: 1
EA Shanghai is a highly-engaged content creation team within EA Worldwide Studios. We are creatively driven and focused on high end visual production across multiple genres and art styles. Working with our game team partners around the world, we share a unified passion for creating amazing experiences and industry leading visuals. We are adventurous and creative. We are courageous and we take chances. We seek pioneers who cut new paths and conquer challenges with fierce determination.
AESTHETICS / ART SKILLS
- Expert art direction ability. Previous experience shipping several next gen/AAA titles as art director.
- Able to help partners clarify and enhance the visuals of their games via expert knowledge of visual language and themes.
- Experience in successfully guiding a variety of game styles to 100% completion.
- Strong ability to direct visual storytelling for a variety of styles, settings and themes.
- Actively work to teach the art teams about western art and culture, to improve our ability to create games for that market.
- Able to identify elements in the game that do not match the game style, and drive dialogues with partners to get them addressed.
- Owns all visual elements of the game, and able to drive them to successful quality, either personally or through delegation.
Knowledge of Game Genres
- Wide knowledge of the general game market, and what directions it is going. Solid understanding of where EA games sit in the market, and ability to discuss where and why.
Core Art Vision
- Able to work with partners to enhance and expand the existing game vision.
- An expert in how to create believable art, including when and how to break from reality for the good of the game.
- Experience in researching a visual style, and creating a strong ‘game canon’ that can be used to guide a game team.
- Strong skills at directing concept artists to create the visual look of a game.
Traditional Art Skills
- Strong art skills -able to do makeups and paint-overs to convey visuals to both the internal team and partners.
- Strong experience in providing art direction for all art disciplines. Ability to direct with need for supervision.
- Strong understanding of how all types of assets work, and able to leverage them to best effects.
- Previous experience providing strong art critique for multiple next-gen/AAA games.
- Proficient enough at scheduling and planning to be able to help plan projects.
- Strong experience with workflows – enough to be able to persuasively correct processes of our partners.
- Strong graphical design skills – able to drive the look and feel of all front-end and in-game interfaces. Able to define the 2D presentation of the game.
- Mentor associate art directors, to help them improve their skills and experience.
- Able to help develop strong leaders on the team through empowering them to own areas.
- Contribute to the studio art community, through training and focus groups.
- Use dev experience to help with prediction and risk management on projects
- Constantly engage with counterparts in other studios to maintain strong, long-term relationships.
- Able to build confidence to where we can take on creative ownership of areas in projects.
- Ability to take over troubled projects and stabilize situations with both internal and partner teams.
- Take ownership and resolve art issues that effect both the internal and partner teams.
- Ensure that the internal team is able to take their assets to 100% completion-not requiring our partner to provide substantial guidance.
TYPES OF PROJECTS
Scope of Responsibility
- Art director on large, complex and challenging projects.
- Extensive art direction experience on a variety of titles, including multiple styles.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE CAPABILITY
- Enough comfort and confidence communicating in English to be able to resolve direction conflicts with our partners.
- Comfortable discussing artistic direction with anyone.
Community / Marketing Title: Associate Art Director
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2020-01-21 03:47:59.973
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.