Location: Orlando, Florida, United States
Requisition Number: 158455
Position Title: Technical Artist 1
Technical Artists will play a key role in providing feedback or debugging complex assets such as character skeleton rigs and skinning systems. They will also research and oversee the implementation of rendering techniques such as normal and specular maps, particle systems, and pixel shaders as well.
- Maintain and improve technologies and art workflows.
- Identify art workflow problems, and work with Technical Producers, SME’s, CG Sups and TA’s to solve them.
- Establish and enforce naming conventions within assets, tools, and workflows
- Integrate new technologies (internal and external) into art workflows.
- Interact with other artists/TA's on a daily basis to identify challenges and provide solutions.
- Accountable for asset delivery on time and meeting budget (memory and performance).
- Accountable for continuous asset build stability.
What skills does EA look for?
Technical Artists are generally required to have between two to five years experience. Involving both art and programming experience, a Technical Artist can come from either background, though most tend to have been artists who have specialized in a particular area of art production.
They should have a detailed knowledge of at least one industry-standard art package. The use of scripting languages is required, as is an understanding of the limitations of console hardware. Some Technical Artists come to games after holding a similar position in the film or special effects industries, where experience of high-end rendering techniques or complex animation are useful skills.
The role of Technical Artist is a specialized one. Candidates must be able to show technical proficiency in areas such as lighting and rendering, texturing, and graphics-related programming languages such as shaders. They should also have extensive knowledge of art packages ranging from modeling to texturing and special effects, and be able to customize them to be as streamlined as possible for specific projects.
Most Technical Artists will have a degree in a relevant visual art or technical subject; however, the most important prerequisite for the role is experience working with art tools and game hardware on wide range of projects.
Skills and Experience
- At least 3 years games/animation/FX production experience.
- Intermediate knowledge of CG fundamentals: modeling, texturing/shading/surfacing, rigging, animation, lighting, rendering, compositing.
- Understanding of various gaming platform limitations with regard to visual assets.
- Advanced understanding of at least one 3D package, preferably Maya.
- Intermediate scripting experience with Python and/or Mel/Maya API.
- Proficiency with C# or C++ is preferred
- Excellent aptitude for troubleshooting CG issues.
- Ability to think creatively to resolve technical challenges and limitations.
- Excellent communication skills, with a willingness and confidence to provide a bridge between artists and software engineers.
Community / Marketing Title: Technical Artist
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-11-05 18:05:37.983
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.