Development Director (Art)
Location: Sacramento, California, United States
Requisition Number: 158429
Position Title: DD II
“Who is EA Capital Games?”
We’re a mobile game studio located in Midtown Sacramento, home to the highly successful title Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, the most successful Star Wars mobile game ever released, charting as the #1 grossing game in over 35 countries, and one of the Top 40 grossing games in the entire world across Apple and Google.
Collectively, we are a close-knit group of passionate gamers, obsessed with the creation of genre-defining mobile RPGs, and the vibrant live services necessary to support them. Our team culture is friendly, fast-paced, results-focused, and collaborative. We take our work – but not ourselves – very seriously.
While walking the halls of our brand-new 31,000 sqft studio, you’ll hear the cacophony of epic console competitions, lively debates, and the rattle of dice thrown across a game board. Game nights, happy hours, weekend adventures, and a dog-friendly atmosphere are all elements of who we are.
Development Directors manage a variety of disciplines including artists, designers, software engineers, QA and other production staff. DD's are the keepers of the project schedule and play a vital role in successfully moving the development team from one project phase to the next while ensuring a strong focus on quality, collaboration, and communication. They must partner closely with project producers and directors to ensure that they are managing the project on time, top quality, and within budget.
The Development Director for Art applies these skills directly to the Art discipline within the studio and works directly with the team and Art Director to manage personnel, the project schedule and art deliverables, pipelines, and workflows.
As the Development Director for Art, you will:
- Be responsible for the full operational aspects of the art department, including establishing development framework, reporting, risk management, capacity planning, resource management and ensuring the team has the best organizational structure, processes, and practices
- Establish and assign task objectives, ensuring quality asset deliverables within the project schedule and recognizing and balancing priorities across two development teams
- Partner with production to manage the scope and quality of the Art team and proactively assess and mitigate risk for assigned scope
- Prioritize and resolve issues through creative problem-solving skills
- Work with the project leadership and art team to define the art strategy in order to execute against feature and content milestones and key deliverables.
- Drive efficiencies and new ways of thinking with a goal of reducing waste and increasing predictability.
- Establish regular communication with the team, key stakeholders and IP licensors to coordinate dependencies and provide project status updates.
- Be responsible for managing and coaching a strong art team; Contribute to recruiting efforts, onboarding new hires, and retention of talent
- Provide line management to employees within the discipline
- Minimum of 5 years of project management or team leadership experience on AAA game franchises or similar software development projects.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, as well as strong emotional intelligence skills.
- Experience managing a large project with Agile project management principles and practices.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. Able to work on complex problems where analysis of situations requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and collaborative team environment.
- Familiarity with JIRA
- Knowledge of art asset workflows and content creation pipelines a plus.
- This role requires highly developed relationship-building skills and the ability to establish credibility and influence within the studio, centralized EA partners and Licensed IP stakeholders.
“Tell me about Sacramento.”
Sacramento hosts an approachable metropolitan lifestyle, where a home can be established for anyone from the singleton who wants to live downtown, to the family whose top priorities are a yard and great schools, all within a reasonable commute to our studio. The city fosters a vibrant urban culture through weekend street festivals, professional sports teams, bustling farmer’s markets, wonderful eateries, and award-winning craft breweries and coffee roasters. If connecting with nature is more your vibe, the Sierras are in our backyard in addition to many local hiking and biking trails.
“What’s in it for me?”
Glad you asked! We love to brag about our great perks like free food, hosted happy hours, annual camping adventures, comprehensive health, and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, company matched retirement, and many others! And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality.
Community / Marketing Title: Development Director (Art)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-11-01 21:35:18.6
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.