Backend Software Engineer
Location: Stockholm, Stockholm County, Sweden
Requisition Number: 158139
Position Title: Software Engineer II
We are DICE
DICE (EA Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment), the award-winning studio based in Stockholm, Sweden, is best known for creating the phenomenally successful Battlefield franchise, the Battlefront franchise, and the innovative game Mirror’s Edge.
We work through our 4 guiding values: Passion with Purpose, Creative Innovation, Everything Quality, and One Community. We recognise that our people are the backbone and driving force to our creative products. As such, we are dedicated in providing everyone the ability to express, learn, and be their very best with a common cause.
We are looking for an experienced and talented Backend Engineer, who is passionate about developing systems and services to support the live operations and online gameplay for our millions of users.
You will be working in small teams that work closely together to create solutions for game requirements using modern technologies and frameworks deployed to cloud-based infrastructure. You will also be working with a large number of existing systems; some developed at DICE, some developed externally. This will require collaborating with a lot of different teams within EA and DICE on a regular basis.
What does a Backend Software Engineer do at DICE?
- Develop distributed, resilient and high-performing back-end services using Scala and other system software languages
- Collaborate closely with the game development teams to adapt existing systems or create new ones for DICE titles
- Adapt central EA technologies to meet game designs requirements from the game development teams, such as matchmaking
- Leverage modern open-source stacks including Scala and Finagle
- Deploy services on cloud-based infrastructures such as Kubernetes and Mesos
- Be responsible for performance and load testing at the service level (using tools such as Gatling)
- Experience in large distributed high-performing systems
- Knowledge of Scala, Java or other JVM language (Scala is the strong preference here)
- Knowledge of Git, or similar distributed source management system
- Experience with continuous integration and delivery
- Good communication and documentation experience
- Proficient in written and spoken English
Nice to Haves
- Experience with cloud deployment, preferably AWS
- Good knowledge of Linux
- Knowledge of C++ or C#
- Knowledge of Kubernetes or Mesos/Aurora
- Experience with Docker or similar container formats
- Contributions to Open Source projects is a plus
- An interest in games is advantageous
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
At DICE we take care of our staff and have done so during our steady growth over the last decade. In addition to a competitive compensation package we offer our employees 10 EA games per year, massage every three weeks, a variety of sports activities (yoga and cross fit to name a few) and health care allowance. We have a collective bargain agreement with Unionen and Sveriges Ingenjörer which includes a parental salary benefit program and also provide our employees’ with occupational pension.
At DICE, we respect and value our employees’ personal lives. A good work-life balance is something we practice and maintain even during high-intensity periods.
We thought you might also like to know...
As part of the application process we might ask you to take on a practical work test. The position is permanent and applications will be selected continuously. Apply online with a combined CV and Introduction letter in English.
We welcome people from different backgrounds and look forward to receiving your application!
Community / Marketing Title: Backend Software Engineer
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-10-17 08:44:46.343
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.