Character Artist (contract)
Location: Redwood City, California, United States
Requisition Number: 158124
Position Title: Senior Character Artist
Lead Character Artist
At EA, we’re searching for the most talented and creative game developers in the world to help us become the #1 mobile gaming company. Our teams are building on the success of titles such as Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, FIFA Mobile, Madden Mobile, Real Racing, Plants vs. Zombies, the Sims, and The Simpsons: Tapped Out.
As a Lead Character Artist, you will create an amazing array of beautifully realized popular characters. From sculpting high-resolution meshes to creating game ready assets to managing the department’s daily activities, you are a master at running a tight ship, yet remain open to collaboration and input. You will partner with the art director, tech team, and design department to create an integrated pipeline that respects team members' needs, all while contributing your experience to the mix. Expectations are high, and your skills will help realize our unique vision.
Our game has a fresh and unique stylized art style, and you need to both build and expand upon it. Your job is to ensure extremely clear visual directions are crafted from a variety of inputs, and to create a very high visual quality bar. Guide external partners will determine success for this department.
You also need a strong eye for detail, not only in art but in communication and planning. As a lead artist, the project relies on your ability to adequately anticipate needs and solve challenges as they arise, documenting processes and ensuring that pipelines are adhered to. This is your chance to help build and own an essential part of the game creation process.
- Mobile first artist with demonstrable ability achieving high quality characters, on device
- You will split time between asset creation and department management
- Work with engineering and animation to determine efficient pipelines and work-streams
- Establish a high, viable character style that meets art direction goals
- Organize, schedule, and manage the character department's deliverables
- Support character concept and design in an iterative manner
- Work with OS partners in a collaborative manner, delivering relevant feedback and direction
- Partner with engineers and tech artists to develop an effective character art pipeline
- Communicate the visual design and development of the characters through art specifications, style guides and reference material
- Partner with the Technical Artist to develop shaders and lighting solutions
Required Skills/Personal Requirements
- Previous character lead experience within a game production environment
- Understand anatomy, weight and silhouette
- Maya or similar 3D modeling software
- Expert sculpting skills using Zbrush
- Expert knowledge of PBR texture/material workflows
- Understand rigging and skinning
- Passion for collaboration with other artists, designers, and programmers
Community / Marketing Title: Character Artist (contract)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-10-15 16:55:18.23
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.