Location: Galway, County Galway, Ireland
Requisition Number: 157273
Position Title: Technical Director I
Technical Director – Development Technology & Services - Engineering Services
Location: Galway, Ireland
If you are ready to make a difference with world class technologies and development teams to deliver the products that reach and delight the most avid players world-wide then we have a role for you.
The Development Technology & Services organization is searching for a Technical Director for our Engineering Services team. The Technical Director will be responsible for building and leading a team of Technical Leads and software engineers, who will play a key role in increasing predictability and reliability of our game development by evolving our Quality Verification Automation Platform technologies. This team identifies, develops and deploys tools which increase the efficiency and effectiveness of our automation technologies across all of EA portfolio. EA’s goal is to deliver the highest possible quality experiences to our players and our automation technologies are critical to meeting that goal.
The Technical Director is expected to advance the Quality Verification Automation Platform ecosystem through large scale automation and data by creating a strategic vision of the entire automation landscape at EA working with studio technical leadership and executive to align this vision with their needs.
The role requires a personality type that is outgoing, dynamic, enthusiastic and able to network successfully across many groups and individuals across EA’s many studios. You should be able to gain consensus and to build/maintain excellent relationships and many different communications channels.
- Strategy & Planning
- Build a strategy that will lay the foundation and framework for the future of automation at EA by partnering with your team and stakeholders to execute against robust and innovative plans that optimize our automation efforts by utilizing and exploring cutting-edge technologies and best practices. Through these stakeholder partnerships, together with your team and Product Owners across different products:
- Define the vision and strategy of the Quality Verification Automation Platform
- Define the roadmap of the Quality Verification Automation Platform
- Lead the development of Quality Verification Automation Platform
- Lead the data strategy for the Quality Verification Automation Platform
- Drive innovation, manage opportunities and convergence.
- Define the development priorities.
- Drive collaboration and cooperation with partners across EA.
- Be accountable for the technical proficiency of the Software Engineers Quality Verification Automation Platform team.
- Implementation & Deployment
- Architect, design and implement high quality software systems.
- Conduct code reviews, and establish a robust quality assurance process, including integration and system testing.
- Review and approve proposed development releases and oversee the release process for the Quality Verification Automation Platform.
- Monitor Quality Verification Automation Platform usage, performance and resolve any failures.
- Oversee internal and external project dependencies, risks and critical paths; ensure contingency plan is in place; recommend solutions and approve plan & timelines; understand overall impact on all stakeholders.
- Drive solutions deployment and collect customer feedback.
- Operational Management
- Together with the Product Owner and Development Manager lead the effort to define the quarterly development and delivery plans to ensure alignment with the overall strategy and roadmap.
- Work with the Development Manager to ensure development priorities for each development iteration is clearly defined and aligns with the quarterly program plan commitments.
- Ensure technical problems are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Promote achievement of the Quality Verification Automation Platform team business goals and develop policies for sharing software code, technological innovation and business processes, and other intellectual property.
- Help create a strong and coherent technical community by developing excellent relationships with technical peers in game development teams and other groups throughout EA studios.
- Participate in recruitment, training & coaching of quality engineers to enhance individual effectiveness and professional growth.
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science or Software Engineering or equivalent.
- A minimum of 12+ years of technology industry experience, including roles at the senior leadership level within technical organizations.
- A minimum of 7+ years of experience designing and architecting / developing enterprise level CI/CD pipelines that encompass workflows starting with content creation through quality validation.
- Knowledge and experience in working with common automation tool sets such as Jenkins, Azure Pipelines, others.
- Knowledgeable in software lifecycle, modern testing methods and good understanding of continuous integration.
- Experience in the design of web and online services, including the hosting and operation of services in cloud and on premises environments.
- Experience of test automation and/or development process improvements.
- Knowledge in working with data storage methodologies and classes of storage, including document stores (NoSQL), relational (SQL), and data warehousing.
- Knowledge of Video Game development and popular game engines (Unity, Unreal, Lumberyard, etc.) either as a content creator, engine developer, or tool developer, is a plus.
- Performance Competencies (Non-Technical Skills)
- Excellent organizational communication and management skills with a strong desire to contribute to a unique creative environment by utilizing world-wide talent.
- Project management skills demonstrated by the ability to define tasks in a well-organized manner, based on proper resource and time management. Agile knowledge is a plus.
- Excellent detail-oriented, problem solving skills
- Experience with customer service
- Passion for the entertainment industry and distributed development.
- Able to quickly assess situations, troubleshoot complex problems and keep a calm head under tight time constraints and high pressure.
- Self-starter and ability to quickly learn and apply new concepts, principles and solutions with little supervision.
- Ability to mentor, review, evaluate and qualify technical skills
- Ability to work independently as part of a distributed organization
- Ability to travel
Community / Marketing Title: Technical Director
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-08-21 17:33:29.747
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.