VP of Technical Operations
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States
Requisition Number: 156925
Position Title: VP
VP, Technical Operations
We are EA …and we are the world’s leading game company, entertaining millions of people across the globe with the most amazing, immersive interactive software in the industry – how cool is that? Whether you’re into FIFA, Madden Football, Apex Legends, Battlefield, Star Wars, The Sims, or Plants vs. Zombies, we’ve got you covered. But making games is hard work, and EA has plans to do even more, connecting players with their friends in new ways and ensuring play continues no matter which device you’re using.
The Technical Operations Revolution is here!
EA has embarked on a fundamental change to revolutionize how we support the massive growth in our player base and the scale of our services. We are transforming how we operate our digital services to build in automation to every step of our operations including the configuration, deployment and support of infrastructure resources and networking to the ongoing scaling and support of the services we provide. As demands continue to scale beyond all previous records, with widely unpredictable usage at any moment in time, it’s critical to bring the power of the cloud to provide true elasticity for every component that supports the player experience.
The new world for technical operations will look and feel very different – where consuming and configuring services is largely self-serve, with wait times in minutes not weeks or months, where automation is driving almost all work resulting in much higher quality, better cost curves and higher security.
Technical Operations organization is responsible for driving critical infrastructure technology decisions and investments for EA on a global basis, across platform and studio teams. Technology and engineering leadership at EA is critical to making the industry’s best games and services. Technical Operations is leading the way to providing cross-platform infrastructure that will keep our players connected with our games anytime, anywhere with anyone.
EA has an exciting opportunity for a world class technical leader to join the leadership of EA’s global CTO team as Vice President of Technical Operations (located in Austin, TX). This role will lead a fast paced, agile organization of 250 people, managing global Infrastructure supporting online gaming. This role will have responsibility for interacting with senior business executives throughout the company as well as key external business partners, and will lead and meet business objectives in a global, collaborative and high performance work environment. We are looking for a leader that can help drive the needed transformation to the cloud that EA players and partners demand.
Position will be responsible for:
- Set vision for an elastic hosting strategy to bring agility and cost efficiency. The position will be responsible for implementing the hosting strategy and transforming the infrastructure team.
- Define the tooling and automation requirements necessary to instrument the elastic hosting strategy in the most simple and effective means possible.
- Build strong partnerships with product and studio teams to ensure the hosting strategy meets the requirements.
- Responsible for all worldwide data centers/infrastructure – including data centers, managed hosting and public cloud resources.
- Lead talented global team with the following disciplines: infrastructure engineering, development operations, 24x7 live operations teams (incident and problem management), procurement and business operations, project and program planning.
- Own the $250M+ online operating and infrastructure capital expenditure/investment for the Company.
- Evolve embedded and live site operations including incident management and adherence to SLAs.
- Work with the game studios to architect the infrastructure solutions for their game, provide support pre-launch, launch and post-launch.
- Determine outsourcing strategy and manage vendors to provide high quality, low cost outsourcing services appropriate to the business.
- Develop and maintain relationships with client organizations to ensure their infrastructure expectations are being met and priorities are set at the appropriate level.
- Develop and manage the global rollout of all services and work closely with finance and the executive team to effectively manage online infrastructure costs for all of EA.
- Retain, hire and grow a talented global workforce as the team transforms as part of the Technical Operations Revolution.
The successful candidate will have a strong background in elastic infrastructure technologies, automation and large-scale environment in a global corporation. They will also have consistently demonstrated technical leadership partnering with internal teams as well as key external business partners. Ideal candidate will have demonstrated ability to successfully transform global infrastructure organizations in collaboration with overall engineering strategy.
In addition, the successful candidate must have:
- 12+ years’ experience in engineering or information technology, with at least 5 years of experience leading and managing an infrastructure group in a global high technology company.
- Successful career progression in complex organizations (multiple data centers, networks, applications) and multiple engineering disciplines.
- Expert understanding with multiple infrastructure technologies including virtualization, cloud computing, web scale, large scale distributed infrastructures, infrastructure automation, principles of infrastructure durability, and data center technologies.
- Track record of handling rapid transformation and associated talent development.
We will also look for:
- Recognized as a leader able to inspire and motivate others through conviction, vision and the ability to formulate and articulate direction; skilled in the analysis and definition of organization goals and objectives, direction setting and the interpretation of goals into specific tasks.
- An analytical individual who questions why things are done and applies intelligence/experience to resolve issues.
- Proven ability to consistently and collaboratively resolve issues, mitigate roadblocks, and meets all financial and management goals on time. Will be a self-starter who maps own direction to succeed.
Education A college degree in computer science, information systems, engineering, mathematics or a related major is required.
Community / Marketing Title: VP of Technical Operations
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-08-01 16:28:01.503
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.