Sr Software Engineer - EADP Marketplace
Location: Seattle, Washington, United States
Requisition Number: 156460
Position Title: Sr Software Engineer I
EA Digital Platform (EADP) Marketplace - Senior Software Engineer I
We Are EA
And we make games - How cool is that? In fact, we entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. But making games is hard work. That's why we employ the most creative and passionate people in the industry.
Save the planet from Alien Invaders. Score the winning touchdown.
Yup - It's the coolest job on the planet!
The Challenge Ahead:
Is to build our new cross-game, cross-platform digital economy platform. This large scale, always-on collection of RESTful Java-based services will power the virtual-economies of EA’s network of games that will be experienced by tens of millions of monthly active users. You'll have the opportunity to build sophisticated platform capabilities handling several hundred-thousand requests per second, and driving the player engagement of many of the industries most popular titles. You'll be able to build server-side systems that deliver new functionality within the larger Digital Platform, as well as work on regular improvements to the systems to keep them at top notch performance.
What a Senior Software Engineer I does within EADP Marketplace Division at EA:
As a Sr. Software Engineer I, your primary responsibility will be to lead the software design and architecture process of our marketplace service offering. Most of your time will be spent working with the team in the design and execution of new features, while continually optimizing performance, robustness, and scalability of the service. You will also spend time working with product managers to innovate new features to support EA's many games and reduce technical debt associated with legacy systems through innovation and automation.
Additionally, you will be a champion for best practices within the engineering team, demonstrating what good looks like as a role model and mentor to the team.
- Lead the technical design and architecture of major components in our large scale distributed HTTP based backend service, creating new features and updating existing ones
- Working with customers and business leaders to understand customer needs and delivering
incrementally on their highest priority features and requirements.
- Work with multiple customers working on multiple different platforms who use the services and features you create to complete user facing features
- Roughly 40% to 60% hands on coding
- Grow and guide other engineers
- Occasional off-hours support for development needs and support of the live environment helping to ensure our consumer experience is always world class
Required Skills / Experience
- Demonstrated ability in Java/Kafka or Go language
- A passion for working in gaming and/or commerce/virtual economy systems
- Technical leadership, and/or mentoring experience
- Expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end storage systems and all points in between.
- Strong understanding of the Software design/architecture process
- Superb ability to take high level direction, work through ambiguity and drive to execution in an iterative model
- Superb ability to translate business requirements into technical direction both verbally and written
- Natural aptitude towards making the people around you better at what they do
- Strong understanding of DevOps, Continuous Delivery, and Agile development
- Experience developing, maintaining, and innovating large scale distributed applications
- Experience working on high traffic services and highly scalable systems (>2 million DAU, hundreds of thousands requests per second)
- Superb communication skills: Demonstrated ability to explain technical issues to both technical and non-technical audiences
- 9 or more years’ experience developing object oriented software (preferably in Java)
- 6 or more years’ experience working on online services (HTTP via REST) at Internet consumer scale
- Use of technologies such as memcache, queuing, and NoSQL in production systems and other OSS tech
Nice to have Skills:
- Experience with one or more scripting languages
- Experience with Maven/Gradle
- Experience with Eclipse or IntelliJ IDEA
- Experience with load testing and system analysis
- Experience with other languages such as C++ or C#
- Some experience leading or guiding engineers
- Experience working with remote teams
- Domain experience in economics, commerce, and/or fraud area
What's In It For YOU? Glad You Asked!
We are proud of the great perks we offer like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, pension with company match and, of course, free video games. And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality. Health, Dental, Financial offered (ESPP and RRSP matching); Bonus and relocation assistance also offered.
Community / Marketing Title: Sr Software Engineer - EADP Marketplace
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-07-11 20:28:45.583
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.