Engineering Manager (Frostbite)
Location: Guildford, England, United Kingdom
Requisition Number: 156154
Position Title: Manager Engineering
We are Frostbite
Frostbite is EA’s state-of-the-art, multi-platform game development engine. We empower creators to shape the future of gaming and we achieve this by developing leading-edge engine features and world class tools. Our talented team from across the globe is dedicated to building innovative technology and working closely with each other to ship amazing games. Frostbite powers some of the most stunning games in the industry along with deep player experiences, such as FIFA, Battlefield, Star Wars Battlefront, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Need for Speed and Plant vs. Zombies Garden Warfare. Thousands of game developers all over the world are using Frostbite to create some of the best-looking games in the industry!
Physics & AI
The Physics & AI team is responsible for many of the workflows and technology behind the actual gameplay in many AAA game titles. Hundreds of content creators use the tools every day to define character behavior, make believable animation, define gameplay object behavior, design cloth, hair and destructible assets, set up crowd behaviors, train and execute machine learning networks. The runtime is just as important, providing the features and performance required to competitively realize it all in game.
As an Engineering Manager you will
Hire, motivate and manage engineers to execute the Frostbite product roadmap while keeping the team’s results, retention and health front of mind. The role will also include:
- Longer term career growth assistance - the individual owns their career.
- Mentoring and coaching to improve software engineering skills/practices, where skills are specialist, ensuring the coaching is done by experts in the domain.
Team, Domain & Tech Leadership
- Engineer Productivity - drive for continuous improvement in effective workflows, equipment, tools and iteration loops.
- Ensure that there is sufficient design in place before work is carried out. Use tools such as code reviews to ensure results are as expected and deliver on the product roadmap.
- Responsible for the shipping of runtime, tools, workflows etc, for their assigned domain.
- Fostering an agile engineering culture that values delivery, quality and good craftsmanship.
- Keeping abreast of the latest developments in engineering and technology, including attendance at key conferences and meet-ups
- Strong hands-on leader having lead at least one team using an agile methodology
Skills and Experience
Software Engineering Leadership - Know how to develop quality software and know if we are on track to do that with the current plan/work.
People Leadership - must be effective people managers. Must be able to get the best out of a diverse team of people even when delivery pressure is high.
Deep domain knowledge – In most cases we will look for managers to be deeply knowledgeable in the technology space of their team to allow them the best chance of being able to determine if the team is making quality software for the purpose requested.
What's In It For You?
- Competitive salary plus annual bonus scheme
- Central location in Guildford (5 minutes from main train station)
- Private medical insurance & dental care
- Pension scheme
- Life insurance
- Stock plans
- Free onsite gym
- Employee discounts
- Rail season ticket loan
- Annual game points and digital download allowance
- Onsite café
- 25 days holiday (including 3 days company shutdown days between Christmas & New Year)
- Two annual staff parties (Summer & Christmas)
- Casual dress code
- Games Area
We Thought You Might Also Want to Know:
- How the Frostbite engineis shaping the future of gaming
- More job openingsfor the Frostbite team
- More about our location
Community / Marketing Title: Engineering Manager (Frostbite)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-06-18 12:20:42.877
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.