Technical Director (Quality Engineering)
Location: Guildford, GB
Requisition Number: 155815
Position Title: Technical Director I
We’re Criterion, and we love making games!
Over the last fifteen years we’ve entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. From Burnout & Need for Speed to the critically acclaimed VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront, Starfighter Assault on Battlefront ll and now Battlefield V: Firestorm, Criterion have always pushed the boundaries, delivering through technical excellence, world-class game feel and AAA audiovisual quality.
We place enormous value on creative collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. Our studio is a healthy mix of industry veterans and newcomers working together to inspire, support, and educate one another. We encourage free experimentation, innovation and exploration very explicitly with regular “off-the-grid” time.
Criterion don’t put people in boxes. Folks here have freedom to navigate their careers the way their hearts take them – we’re not big on labels. Our features are built by teams who choose to work together, actively encouraging cross-discipline teams to solve the toughest problems.
The working day has space carved out for everyone to play games – by themselves or together, be they tabletop or videogames, we love them all. Learning from the widest range of experiences makes our own games better.
Over the years, we’ve learned that crunching is flat-out stupid, so we don’t do it.
The Challenge Ahead
Do you want to make making games better? As a Technical Director in the Criterion Quality Engineering team, you will play a crucial role in improving the way we make and test games. We're looking for a curious, passionate, and outgoing person who is always looking for ways to improve the quality of life for QA & developers. Your insights and your influence will allow us to make the highest quality games possible and have fun whilst doing it.
As a Quality Engineer, and part of the worldwide Quality Verification organisation your role is concerned with improving the creation experience for developers, and the ultimate game quality experience for our players. Using automated testing, workflow tools, and data insights we make it as easier create and test high quality games. Identifying defects earlier, making it easier to make high quality changes, getting as much information as possible to fix defects, you will help to ensure that the game can always be stable through all stages of development.
Are you someone who knows "we can do better", and has the drive to walk that path? Then we want to hear from you.
What a QE Technical Director does at Criterion:
Strategy & Planning
- Provide planning and direction in the areas of integrating, testing, and releasing the tools and software frameworks for the group
- Proven ability to create, communicate, and implement business goals and roadmaps to key partners
- Be responsible for the development of tools and release strategy
- Drive innovation and seize opportunities
Implementation & Deployment
- Conduct code reviews, and establish a robust quality assurance process, including integration and system testing
- Review and approve proposed development releases and handle the release process for tools products
- Monitor tools usage, performance and resolve any failures
- Provide consulting to game teams and central technology providers on strategies at the component, sub-system, system level and services
- Provide technical guidance and direction to the embedded and distributed development teams responsible for developing and supporting products
- Ensure technical problems are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner
- Ensure that internal technological processes and customer-facing services comply with expectations
- Help create a strong and coherent technical community by developing excellent relationships with technical peers in game development teams and other groups throughout EA studios
- Ensure that all team members are provided with opportunities to achieve business and personal goals
- Strive to continuously create an open communication channel with each team member
- Participate in recruitment, training & mentorship of engineers to enhance individual effectiveness and professional growth
The next great Criterion QE Technical Director also needs:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Engineering or Software Engineering or equivalent
- A minimum of 8 years’ industry technical experience working on tools, test automation and/or software development
- Strong leadership and partner management experience
- Excellent organizational communication and management skills with a strong desire to contribute to a unique creative environment by utilizing worldwide talent
- Project management skills demonstrated by the ability to define tasks in a well-organized manner, based on proper resource and time management
- Experience leading and mentoring both junior and senior engineers across multiple locations
- Ability to craft and deliver effective presentations, and training sessions
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
- Competitive salary plus annual bonus scheme
- Central location in Guildford (5 minutes from main train station)
- Private medical insurance & dental care
- Pension scheme
- Life insurance
- Stock plans
- Free onsite gym
- Employee discounts
- Rail season ticket loan
- Annual game points and digital download allowance
- Onsite café
- 25 days holiday (including 3 days company shutdown days between Christmas & New Year)
- Two annual staff parties (Summer & Christmas)
- Casual dress code
- Games Area
We thought you might also want to know:
- More about our studio: http://criteriongames.com
- More about our location: http://careers.ea.com/our-locations/guildford
Take your career to the next level – apply today!
Community / Marketing Title: Technical Director (Quality Engineering)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-05-23 14:19:17.12
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Guildford, GB