Lead Character Technical Artist
Location: Guildford, England, United Kingdom
Requisition Number: 155615
Position Title: Sr Technical Artist 1
We’re Criterion, and we love making games!
Over the last fifteen years we’ve entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. From Burnout & Need for Speed to the critically acclaimed VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront, Starfighter Assault on Battlefront ll and now Battlefield V: Firestorm. Criterion have always pushed the boundaries, delivering through technical excellence, world-class game feel and AAA audiovisual quality.
We place enormous value on creative collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. Our studio is a healthy mix of industry veterans and newcomers working together to inspire, support, and educate one another. We encourage free experimentation, innovation and exploration very explicitly with regular “off-the-grid” time.
Criterion don’t put people in boxes. Folks here have freedom to navigate their careers the way their hearts take them – we’re not big on labels. Our features are built by teams who choose to work together, actively encouraging cross-discipline teams to solve the toughest problems.
The working day has space carved out for everyone to play games – by themselves or together, be they tabletop or video games, we love them all. Learning from the widest range of experiences makes our own games better.
Over the years, we’ve learned that crunching is flat-out stupid, so we don’t do it.
The Challenge Ahead:
Criterion are embarking on their most ambitious projects to date, delivering Battlefield 5: Firestorm and a brand new, unannounced title. We are growing our team with fresh, talented people who can help us take a huge leap forward.
We’re looking for a Lead Technical Artist with expert skills in developing character toolsets and pipelines, along with a strong, practical understanding of rigging and animation.
What a Lead Character Technical Artist does at Criterion:
The Lead Character Technical Artist is responsible for leading the development of character, vehicle and prop workflows and tools that support realising the creative vision for the game. They collaborate with Technical Art Director and Animation Director to create prototypes and develop innovative & efficient character tools & pipelines. They also work closely with internal and external teams to deliver final character assets.
The Lead Character Technical Artist is passionate about quality, will be highly skilled at creating effective character workflow solutions to enable high quality character modeling, rigging & animation.
The Lead Character Technical Artist also needs:
- Multiple shipped titles developing technical art/rigging and character pipelines.
- Proven experience leading small teams of riggers, tools developers and technical artists.
- Great collaboration and communication skills: a solution focussed problem solver.
- Confidence identifying needs and analysing and estimating the steps to achieve them.
- Experience mentoring, providing feedback and guidance on best practices and approaches.
- Able to identify and automate complex/repeatable workflows utilizing Python, C#, Qt
- Experience with animation/cinematic and rigging pipelines (Unreal Matinee, Maya, Motion Builder or similar).
- Familiarity with the Maya API (Motion Builder API and C++ experience a plus)
- Practical understanding of rigging concepts like IK/FK, pose based deformations and FACS based face rigging systems.
- Familiarity with node-based authoring systems for characters shaders (skin/eye/hair).
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
Naturally, we offer competitive compensation packages, but more importantly, because we love working with world-class creators, we maintain a culture that thrives on creative freedom and autonomy.
- Competitive salary plus annual bonus scheme
- Central location in Guildford (5 minutes from main train station)
- Private medical insurance & dental care
- Pension scheme
- Life insurance
- Stock plans
- Free onsite gym
- Employee discounts
- Rail season ticket loan
- Annual game points and digital download allowance
- Onsite café
- 25 days holiday (including 3 days company shutdown days between Christmas & New Year)
- Two annual staff parties (Summer & Christmas)
- Casual dress code
- Games Area
We thought you might also want to know:
We’re based in the lovely town of Guildford – 35 minutes from central London.
Our office is a short walk from the train station and town centre.
- More about our studio: http://criteriongames.com/
- More about our location: https://www.ea.com/careers/careers-overview/guildford
Community / Marketing Title: Lead Character Technical Artist
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-05-16 16:07:33.713
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.