Location: Vancouver, British Columbia CA
Requisition Number: 154827
Position Title: Craft Director 1
Who we are:
We are a centralized rigging dept. within the CRAFT organization supporting EA Studios games including FIFA, Madden NFL, NBA, NHL, UFC, Plants vs Zombies & Need for Speed. We develop, support, and facilitate artistic and technical infrastructure that maximizes believable performances, animation workflows, and innovation.
What the Rigging Supervisor will do:
This is a director level role with a focus on leadership and technical supervision, handling the development of complex character rigs and character rigging systems, workflows and pipelines. This role will handle a team of riggers working together to create integrated character performance solutions meeting the technical and aesthetic requirements of productions across EA Studios.
The Rigging Director will be working within the rigging department and partnering with the game team rigging and animation leads and other central teams to ensure they are using the highest quality content with the tools and assets provided. Additionally, the Rigging Director will handle the development and support of efficient workflows and pipelines for production and need a good eye for aesthetics, including anatomy and deformation, contributing to critiques and ultimately the team and company’s success.
Principal duties and responsibilities:
- Handle the design and development of rigging workflows in collaboration with content creators and engineers.
- Handle the development of character and prop rigs for animation, deformation, and rendering.
- Supervise the implementation of skin and muscle behaviors for a variety of characters.
- Support of tools and technologies used by content creators for animation.
- Handle Integration cinematics and gameplay animation content into a proprietary game engine.
- Partner closely with the Animation department to ensure the successful handoff and performance of character rigs.
- Provide creative and technical problem solving with a view to delivering efficient quality art and animation.
- Provide regular updates and reports to department and organizational leadership and game team partners.
- Actively investigate opportunities for pipeline and workflow efficiency increases.
- Drive process, quality, cross studio communication, and team culture.
- Participate in the creation of technical standards and conventions for rigging, including standards for directory structure, file and node naming, and versioning, etc.
- Provide mentorship, guidance, and develop training programs for rigging staff.
- Develop and maintain documentation for workflows, pipelines, technical processes, and tools.
- Define and estimate tasks in a well-organized manner and ensure team members.
Who you are:
- Suggested 5 years experience performing duties of a lead or supervisor of rigging in gaming and/or film.
- Significant experience with tool creation for rigging/animation workflows on multiple shows
- Strong understanding of rigging and animation content creation processes for games and its technical constraints.
- Working knowledge of Python. Familiarity with the Maya API, Qt, C#/C++, or WPF a plus.
- Confirmed experience supervising the design, implementation, and maintenance of animation content workflows.
- Understanding of physical motion, weight, balance, and form.
- Knowledge of human and animal anatomy.
- Familiarity with motion capture pipelines and data management, including retargeting.
- Strong experience with standard industry tools including Maya and MotionBuilder.
- Experience with editor-based game development environments e.g. Unreal, Unity etc.
- Have an aptitude for leadership and communication within and between teams.
- Excellent problem-solving skills. Must be able to quickly identify issues and actively implement solutions.
- Ability to prioritize hit deadlines and maintain consistent productivity in a fast-paced environment.
- Open to taking direction and capable of adopting change.
- Have an enthusiastic and self-directed work ethic.
- Computer graphics/animation/science degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- Games development experience preferred.
Community / Marketing Title: Rigging Supervisor
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-03-05 14:37:55.54
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Vancouver, British Columbia CA