DevOps Engineer (Contract)
Location: Guildford, GB
Requisition Number: 154581
Position Title: Contingent
We are Ghost Games, an EA Studio
We entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. But making games is hard work. That’s why we employ the most creative, passionate people in the industry.
The Challenge Ahead
We are looking for someone passionate about the fun in games and looking to build their career in the DevOps/SRE Engineering domain. If you are ready to jump on the bleeding edge of cloud, containers and live services, we want to hear from you! We are looking for a DevOps Engineer to join us to ensure the best experience possible in game. This means collaborating with everyone from content designers, Frostbite engine engineers, producers and senior technical leaders to design a scalable architecture that can support and scale to thousands of users a minute with an insanely high uptime.
As a DevOps Engineer, your job will be to create and maintain the core infrastructure for the Need for Speed franchise. You will have close attention to detail as any mistake could negatively impact our users, have a keen sense of documentation, task management and be very self-driven. You’ll love collaborating and working with other parts of your team, as well as partners in different countries. You may even have some machine learning skills to make our systems smarter to guide our business towards a more efficient future.
Your tasks will include: requirements gathering; architectural tool design, implementation, and debugging; and working on complex problems with artists and other engineers in the domain of tool, pipeline and workflow development in order to improve, simplify or optimize processes. You’ll spend about 30% of your time “in the cloud”, 30% of your time doing reporting, monitoring, and the rest will be collaborating with other teams and innovating what tomorrow’s gamers will experience.
On a daily basis, you’ll work with multiple EA studios on multiple NFS titles …most likely across many different time zones! We work in may ways – Slack, Email, Video con and face to face meetings. If you’re assertive and a go-getter who likes being engaged, this is definitely a position for you!
What a DevOps Software Engineer does at EA
- Working closely with the entire infrastructure of the franchise to make sure our gamers can have an always-online experience!
- Develop user-friendly tools, easy to manage and efficient pipelines, and optimal workflows that aid in the development and iteration of game servers.
- Implement reporting & monitoring of services
- Work as an individual contributor to gather user requirements, design, implement, debug, test and maintain code with good quality.
- Collaborate with Frostbite engine team to proactively implement server solutions for changes in upcoming releases
- Monitor the daily operations of Need for Speed titles, mitigate & appropriately escalate any issues that occur
- Design and maintain the set of in-house tools that are used to make & deploy game servers
- Collaborate with internal EA teams for maintenance of servers and support launch for all major and content update releases
Preferred Technical Skills and Experience
- Docker / Kubernetes
- AWS or similar cloud/virtualization experience
- Git / Perforce
- Python / Golang / bash/perl/other scripting
- Linux / Ubuntu / Centos
- RDBMS database experience
- Dashboard creation experience (Kibana, Grafana or similar)
Other Skills that Would be Useful
- Previous experience working in a game studio, SaaS or similar company that has multiple deliverables a year
- Previous experience working as a Site Reliability Engineer (SRE) or in the DevOps/LiveOps space
- Previous experience implementing monitoring solutions
- Previous experience working in a distributed team
- Comfortable working as an individual contributor in a small team
- Experience working in an enterprise microservice environment
- Comfortable working in a large Linux & Windows environment
- ElasticStack / SMACK Stack
- C++ Understanding
- NoSQL/NewSQL Understanding
Performance Competencies (Non Technical Skills)
- Strong technical communication and collaboration skills in English.
- A demonstrated track record of high-quality deliverables and sustainable development practices including automated tests.
- Demonstrated ownership for success of internal customers as well as for assigned tasks.
- Competent in problem solving, thinking outside the box and on your feet!
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
We realise it takes world-class people to make world-class games, so we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives on creative freedom and autonomy.
We appreciate the work contractors provide, so here at EA we like to offer you great facilities while you are working onsite including:
- Free onsite gym
- Two annual parties (Summer & Christmas)
- Onsite cafe
- Our very own barista
- Games Area
We thought you might also want to know:
More about our studio: http://ghostgames.com/
More about our location: https://www.ea.com/careers/careers-overview/guildford
Community / Marketing Title: DevOps Engineer (Contract)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-02-12 12:11:44.86
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Guildford, GB