Technical Director Frostbite Engine Tools
Location: Bucharest, RO
Requisition Number: 154393
Position Title: Technical Director I
We are EA
At EA, we have one simple vision: become the world’s greatest games company. We are a community of artists, storytellers, technologists and innovators working in one of the most dynamic industries today. We’re building a company that thinks about player experience at every step. We are transforming for a digital future and work as one team. We take risks and we dream big. And together, we are changing the way millions play every day.
The Challenge Ahead
The worldwide Frostbite team works on cutting edge AI, rendering, animation, physics and other essential engine features used across EA games.
One of the Frostbite teams in Bucharest, called “Delta” is a growing team that plays an important role in the game engine that EA has developed to empower game makers in the company. We focus on building the back-end and UI for a state-of-the-art tool suite for the Frostbite engine, which enables tracing and profiling capabilities, memory tracking, powerful real-time logging of engine information from in-game scenarios, as well as all the runtime support for these tools in the engine core. This enables the Frostbite engine to be one of the most performant engines in the industry, driving innovation in EA’s franchises such as FIFA, Battlefield and Star Wars Battlefront.
We are looking for a seasoned software engineer to join us as technical director for the Delta team. In the game world terminology, a technical director is the equivalent of a software product architect in the broader industry. The ideal candidate is expected to become the technical leader, take over the architecture of the product and own the vision for this technology in Frostbite and across EA. Although based in our office Bucharest, the role has global responsibilities for this technology. The position also has a very strong product management component. It offers very high exposure to teams across EA, both from the Frostbite Engine and game studios. It offers the unique opportunity to shape the future of the engine and the games using it.
- Become the technical leader of a team of great engineers working on the Delta product.
- Ownership of the architecture of the product and of leading the evolution of this architecture according to the needs of EA game studios.
- Ownership of the vision for the future of the product.
- Lead by example: execute on all aspects of software engineering alongside team members, including testing, debugging, documentation, optimization and integration.
- Partnership with product management organizations to ensure the vision for the future is reflected in a realistic roadmap.
- Partnership with engineering manager and project manager to ensure the project activities are properly planned and risks are managed.
- Collaboration with game studios for delivery of a high-quality product that responds to their need.
- Be a process champion: from configuration management practices to design pattern usage, drive the technical process within the team
- Passion for growing more junior team members and being involved in mentoring them.
- Ensuring our designs are simple and effective, backed up with great documentation and testing to accelerate ease of use and future maintenance of our technology.
- Provide solid estimates for new, previously un-scoped work.
Technical Skills for the Ideal Candidate:
- 7+ years of experience in software development on large code bases and complex products
- Proven mastery of the C++ language, OOP design patterns and the more common libraries (e.g. STL)
- Algorithmic problem solving and optimization skills
- Proven experience in architecting complex software modules/products and capabilities to understand an existing architecture.
- Multithreaded programming and debugging experience.
- Knowledge of data storage optimization and real-time database concepts is a big plus
- Knowledge of the C# language and WPF-based UI design is a big plus
- Exposure to scripting languages such as Python is a plus
- Exposure to video game development on any platform is a plus
- Experience with development of debugging/profiling tools is a plus.
Team/Process Skills for the Ideal Candidate
- Great communication skills, to be able to work with co-located and remote colleagues and to be able to communicate progress and results and participate effectively in technical project discussions.
- High degree of autonomy and proactiveness in day to day work. Must be capable and willing to step in in situations of ambiguity and uncertainty.
- Act as an agent of change, driving and embracing new ways of doing things.
- Proven technical leadership abilities for team members on a common code base.
- People management skills and previous experience with direct reports are a plus.
- A passion for making great products and video games.
- Experience in Agile software development, preferably Scrum
- Strong focus on software quality, performance and testability
Our creative work ethos rewards new and different ideas. It is an environment that attracts brilliant talent from around the globe. No matter which of our studio locations you join, you'll feel the energy and support of EA's global brand, while thriving on our world-class campuses. At EA, the excitement you feel throughout each workday is made possible by a culture that inspires you to do the best work of your career.
Community / Marketing Title: Technical Director Frostbite Engine Tools
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-01-22 07:04:57.367
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Bucharest, RO