Environment Artist (Star Wars) - Temporary Assignment
Location: Chatsworth, California US
Requisition Number: 154248
Position Title: Contingent
We’re looking for a temporary Environment Artist who is passionate about world-building and experienced in creating high quality, highly detailed in-game environments and props. As an Environment Artist with our team, you will bring to life beautiful, immersive environments and help create an incredible experience for our players.
**This position is a temporary assignment to start, with potential for longer term employment. Working hours are full time and onsite at our studio in Chatsworth, CA. (Relocation is not offered for this position.)**
What’s it like to be an Environment Artist at Respawn?
- Day to Day - As an Environment Artist you will create high quality, visually appealing 3D environments and assets for use in game. You will own your work from start to finish, while also collaborating with other artists, designers, and leads to ensure the work fits into the vision for art direction and ultimate gameplay goals.
- Teamwork - As a member of the environment art team, you will work closely with others within your department as well as other disciplines within the team. You will work very closely and regularly with Level Designers to help achieve beautiful levels, satisfying gameplay, and compelling storytelling. As such you will have a direct impact on the gameplay the player experiences and their immersal into the game’s universe. Developing amazing worlds is a team effort, and you will work together with other talented team members to create what works best for the game.
- Values - Our art team cares about developing both high quality art and a high quality player experience. They share their inspiration, knowledge, and passion with the others in their department. They aspire to treat everything they work on as a personal masterpiece. They seek to raise the bar of what “great” looks like. They play the game and are encouraged to speak up if they see anything that is not up to our high standards. They put their time and passion into what will have the biggest payoff both visually and for our players.
- Ownership - Our teams are small and everyone has a lot of ownership over their work. As an Environment Artist you will have the opportunity to own your work from start to completion - modeling, texturing, and even concepting as appropriate. You will have the opportunity to use your taste and judgement to shape how environments look and feel, how they tell stories, and how they help to guide a players traversal or eye. You will work with other artists and designers to develop the environments of levels while still owning your assets. As part of a small team you will have the opportunity to shine here.
- Growth - At Respawn we believe that all of our team members are on a path of professional development, and making progress in that journey is a key component of happiness and satisfaction in one’s work. Our team members are encouraged to follow their career interests, while also challenging themselves. To facilitate this, our leads work with each team member to identify areas of strength, and areas of desired development, and whenever possible, assign tasks and projects which will inspire the team member to grow in skill, knowledge, and capability.
What do we look for in Environment Artist candidates?
- You’ve Made Stuff You are Proud Of - We are excited to see your artistic passion, creativity, attention to detail, and keen eye for quality shine in your artwork. What we’d love to see in your portfolio is work that you developed yourself from start to finish - highly detailed 3D art with a focus on environments and variety of subject matter and surface properties (buildings, props, natural landscapes, etc.) Your portfolio ideally shows quality, taste, and ability to hit a believable look. We’d love to see work that you designed yourself as well as work that showcases your ability to capture the likeness of existing concept art. Most of all, we are looking forward to seeing the work that you feel are examples of your best.
- Beyond Art - You Are A Game Developer - As an artist you bring the passion and skill for creating amazing artwork, but you also have an understanding of game development practices that help make sure your work helps enhances the players’ navigation, gameplay experience, and immersion into the world. You understand the greater goals of an incredible gameplay experience and how to work well with designers to ensure that the environments strengthen and not detract from that experience, as well as making sure that your art assets are performant and fit into memory budgets.
- Passion - We look for Environment Artists who are highly passionate. Our art team is constantly sharing knowledge and working to raise the quality bar. No one is phoning it in here – our team members love what they do and it shows in their work.
- Potential Over Experience - We value talent over years of experience. Experience counts, but potential is important too. We look for talented, highly motivated people who have a knack for hands on artistry, but who also balance their drive to make cool stuff with the understanding of what is highest priority for the players’ experience.
- A Spirit for Collaboration - Positivity and a great attitude help to fuel greatness. The ability to accept feedback and critiques will help you tailor your work towards what’s best for the game. Making games is a group effort and you will collaborate closely with other departments. Teamwork is very important to our success.
Ideally, you also will have...
2+ years’ experience as a 3D Artist.
Mastery of relevant software packages such as Maya, Photoshop, Substance, and Zbrush.
Strong understanding of scale, proportion, and surface properties.
Experience working within a game engine and implementing 3D work into engine.
Passion for making and playing games.
Shipped AAA game(s) a plus.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio and we will get back to you once we have reviewed.
Community / Marketing Title: Environment Artist (Star Wars) - Temporary Assignment
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2019-01-09 02:33:58.49
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location: Los Angeles - Chatsworth
Location_formattedLocationLong: Chatsworth, California US