Senior Software Architect - Frostbite
Location: Stockholm, Stockholms lan SE
Requisition Number: 153696
Position Title: Technical Director I
We are Frostbite
Frostbite is a platform for game development within EA and is used by key franchises such as Battlefield, FIFA, Dragon Age, Need for Speed, Plants vs Zombies and many more. Our powerful runtime and workflows are highly configurable and cover all aspects of development including Audio, Animation, Cinematics, Scripting, Artificial Intelligence, Physics, Destruction, Rendering, Visual Effects, and more.
Thousands of game developers all over the world are using Frostbite to create games with our proprietary engine. They need a powerful set of tools, a super-efficient runtime and a rich set of innovative features that is underpinned by an extensible and configurable architecture. You will be a key contributor to the architecture group that works with all technology areas of the passionate and skilled Frostbite game engine team. You will ensure that software that we build meets the needs of EA’s current games as well as being ready to meet the challenges of the future.
As a Software Architect, you will
- Define and develop efficient, flexible and scalable game engine architectures that deliver new features and capabilities for next-generation PC, console and mobile games
- Lead the planning and execution of Frostbite initiatives that span multiple game engine technology domains, insuring that we’re following agile processes for continuous delivery
- Establish and evaluate critical, non-functional requirements across the product, and ensure the team makes use of appropriate design patterns, principals and documentation
- Improve architecture & design skills on the team while driving awareness and alignment of optimal game engine architecture and design across all Frostbite technology domains
- Collect, generate and analyse innovative ideas and technologies to use across the business and contribute to the architecture runway for the engine
- Driven to improve the way games are made by defining and transforming the game engine architecture of Frostbite for PC, console and mobile platforms
- Eager to learn and grow your technical breadth and depth of game engine knowledge
- Pragmatic, with a natural inclination towards keeping architecture and design grounded in solving the highest priority problems, while improving the codebase for long term benefits
- Passionate about improving the architecture and design to positively impact the team and the product
- Inspired to work with, learn from, coach, empower and grow the architecture skills of a large team of software engineers
- An advocate for agile development practices and empowering decisions at the working level
- Passionate about simple and effective designs that are easy to maintain and intuitive to use
- A creative, analytical mind with a desire to solve challenging problems
- Demonstrably strong programming skills, with a proficiency in multiple C-like languages
- Strong practical understanding of software architecture principals and design patterns
- At least 5+ years of technical experience developing in a large codebase, with deep software architecture experience in at least one of the following:
- Large scale resource limited systems (such as games or virtual environments)
- Application software acting on large data sets (such as game editors or CAD tools)
- Significant experience developing large scale software architecture in an agile environment, with a track record of being able to influence the work of distributed teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with an openness to international travel
- A degree in computer science or equivalent – masters or doctorate is preferred, but not mandatory
It would also be advantageous if you have
- Familiarity with one or more commercial game engines, and games industry experience
- Experience with cloud-based architectures
- Worked in large scale standard agile environments (such as SAFe)
- Built, maintained and supported software libraries, tools or features used by others
- Used code refactoring tools at scale
- Worked on systems that include advanced 3D graphics rendering and/or GPGPU
What’s in it for you?
At Frostbite we take care of our staff! In addition to a competitive compensation package we offer our employees 10 EA games per year, massage, a variety of sports activities and health care allowance. We have a collective bargain agreement with Unionen and Sveriges Ingenjörer and we provide our employees with occupational pension.
We respect and value our employees’ personal lives. A good work-life balance is essential to our long-term success!
This opportunity is for a permanent position at Frostbite’s Stockholm office.
As part of the application process we might ask you to perform a practical work test. Apply online with a combined CV and introduction letter in English explaining “Why I want to work at Frostbite”.
We look forward to receiving your application!
Community / Marketing Title: Senior Software Architect - Frostbite
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-11-21 08:27:05.733
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Stockholm, Stockholms lan SE