Location: Gothenburg, SE
Requisition Number: 153400
Position Title: Environment Artist 2
What the Level Artist Does at EA
The Level Artist will work with both internal and external teams of world/environment, to deliver diverse and engaging open worlds and gameplay levels for our players. They will collaborate closely with Art Direction and World Builders and Artists, to understand and help develop both the visual and gameplay experiences – according to the goals of each.
They will continually strive for quality, whilst employing and developing efficient working practices, to ensure practical delivery of large volumes of content
- Build visually engaging levels, from start to finish, with attention to composition and visual flow
- Create levels that not only look great, but enhance the gameplay
- Set dress locations, both organic and manmade, conveying depth and storytelling in the way assets are composed, and going beyond the immediate needs of game design
- Breakdown concept art and style guides into efficient asset lists, taking into opportunities for reuse
- Work with the game team & designers to provide art support in the form of modular asset kits that conform to gameplay metrics
- Support the entire level building process, from initial grey-block rapid layout, through to final assets
- Create proxy (placeholder) assets and write asset briefs
- Breakdown tasks and oversee the work of internal and external artists
- Explore new techniques, tools, and workflows, that improves quality and efficiency
- conform to naming conventions and maintain team standards and practices
- Communicate and collaborate efficiently with other stakeholders and teams
What the Level Artist needs to have:
- Proven production experience with hard surface modeling and set dressing
- Knowledge of Maya, Max, or similar 3D modeling software
- Ability to break down complex scenes into efficient asset kits and components
- Ability to iterate with low-fidelity content, to prove out asset variety and quantity, before final asset creation
- Strong sense of proportion, scene composition, with an eye for details
- Create and document workflows, processes and pipelines when necessary
- Ability to assess quality and identify material and geometry improvements to be made without direct supervision
- Ability to assess scope, make recommendations, provide solid estimates, and deliver on time and to quality
- Ability to collaborate with Art Directors and to receive and react to feedback in a positive manner.
- Ability to interpret game design and level design and provide suitable art content that fits the requirements, without breaking mission or level flow/metrics
- Experience working with content driven game engines (e.g. Unreal, Frostbite, Unity)
- Ability to convey a sense of ‘story’ through scene composition and set dressing – either to support, or enhance to the game design
- Experience delivering assets to time and technical budget constraints
- Knowledge of high fidelity modeling techniques, along with ability to paint photorealistic surfaces using industry standard physically-based 3D paint software (ideally Substance Painter) – a plus
- Experience with photogrammetry, PBR, ZBrush and Substance is a plus.
- Set and environments that demonstrate understanding of composition, visual storytelling, and organic flow
- Examples to demonstrate set dressing skills, including natural sets – e.g. vegetation and foliage distribution
- Examples of both manmade and organic sets
- Work examples that demonstrate effective world building processes
- Examples of high fidelity modelled assets, surfaced using 3D paint software, e.g. Substance Painter – a bonus
- Examples to demonstrate understanding of physically based material and lighting – a bonus
Community / Marketing Title: Level Artist
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-10-31 08:48:11.42
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Gothenburg, SE