BioWare: Franchise Technical Director
Location: Edmonton, Alberta CA
Requisition Number: 152427
Position Title: Technical Director I
At BioWare, our mission is to create worlds of adventure, conflict, and companionship that inspire you to become the hero of your story. Our teams drive innovation using cutting-edge tech and tools such as the Frostbite engine and collaborate with thousands of world-class developers across EA’s network of studios. We are passionate about games and their potential as a creative medium to reach and inspire people through emotion, artistry, and engaging storytelling. If you share this passion, this is an amazing opportunity to help shape the next generation of gaming.
What the franchise Technical Director for Dragon Age will do at BioWare:
The franchise Technical Director is the most senior engineering lead on the game team and a key member of the Dragon Age franchise leadership. Ultimately responsible for ensuring that we delight our players, they build and mentor the engineering team, build and execute the game technology plan, and define and direct the development process. They collaborate with central technology groups and other game teams to coordinate technology strategy and achieve the best results for BioWare and EA.
- Deliver: Deliver on the franchise vision as part of the project leadership team with Production, Design, Art and other partners.
- Technical strategy: Work with Technical Directors and peers across game projects to deliver on a common studio technical strategy.
- Workflows: Ensure the engineering and content teams have the tools, technical processes and best practices they need to develop in and agile and efficient way.
- Code quality: Commit to overall quality of code through engineering best practices around testing, metrics and sustainable software development.
- Architectural design: Architect scalable, portable, extensible, and performant solutions that facilitate the rapid release of features in a live game environment.
- Engineer collaboration: Collaborate with other groups within BioWare and across EA coordinating engineering plans and standards.
- Technical risks: Identify and create mitigation plans for technical risks including online security.
- Requirement analysis and estimation: Partner with project leadership and other stakeholders to break down high level requirements into actionable development strategies and tasks.
- Growing talent: Act as a role model, coach and mentor other members of the team to grow as engineers and developers. Establish and drive performance and training standards for the team. Drive the team’s staff and succession planning. Partner with HR/Recruiting to hire top talent.
- Shipped multiple video game titles and has a thorough understanding of game development through pre-production, production and post-production.
- Published games reflect hands-on experience on console, handheld or PC
- Experience developing multiplayer games.
- Working knowledge in two or more domains (i.e. AI, Rendering, FE, Tools, Animation) of a game
- Understanding of memory management, multiple processor use, and runtime optimization.
- Proficiency with C++ (Visual Studio) and fluency in other languages. C#, Java, Python and assembly are relevant.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science, or equivalent training and professional experience.
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
The opportunity to work and learn from a world-class games studio making world-class games. We are a culture that thrives off creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day.
We are proud of the great perks we offer like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, pension with company match and, of course, free video games. And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality. Health, Dental, Financial offered (ESPP and RRSP matching); Bonus and relocation assistance also offered.
More about our location: http://careers.ea.com/our-locations/edmonton
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, age, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, medical condition or disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Community / Marketing Title: BioWare: Franchise Technical Director
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-09-05 22:13:42.67
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.
Location_formattedLocationLong: Edmonton, Alberta CA