User Interface Artist (Apex Legends)
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Requisition Number: 152139
Position Title: User Interface Artist 2
Respawn Entertainment is a AAA game development studio that was founded in 2010 by former co-founders of Infinity Ward and creators of the multi-billion dollar Call of Duty and Modern Warfare franchises. We shipped Titanfall and Titanfall 2 to critical acclaim, and recently shipped a free-to-play battle royale game in the Titanfall universe, Apex Legends. We are currently hiring for our Star Wars™, Apex Legends, and Super Secret VR game development teams. The opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the industry awaits our future team members.
We’re looking for a User Interface Artist who has exceptional graphic design skills and a passion for helping create the best user experience. You will work closely with our UX/UI team to develop beautiful and readable menus, icons, interfaces, and more to help create a seamless and enjoyable experience for our players.
What’s it like to be a User Interface Artist at Respawn?
- Day to Day - Our User Interface Artist will create visually appealing and informative user interface designs for use in game. As a key influencer on the development of UX/UI, you will contribute towards envisioning and executing on the look/feel of UI, menus, fonts, logos, etc. There may be opportunity to help contribute towards other in-game assets as well, such as iconography or signage.
- Independence and Teamwork - As a UI Artist on part of a small team, you will have the creative freedom to bring menus and UX alive with your aesthetically pleasing artwork. You will have the opportunity to work independently as well as with a team, as you will collaborate with both your UX/UI teammates and other departments to help create the best UX/UI for the game.
- Values - Our UX/UI team cares about developing both high quality art and a high quality player experience. They share their inspiration, knowledge, and passion with the others in their department. They aspire to treat everything they work on as a personal masterpiece. They play the game and are encouraged to speak up if they see anything that is not up to our high standards. They put their time and passion into what will have the biggest payoff for our players.
- Ownership - Our teams are small and everyone has a lot of ownership over their work. As a UI Artist you will have the opportunity to own your designs from conceptualization to shipping. As part of a small team you will have the opportunity to shine here.
- Growth - At Respawn we believe that all of our team members are on a path of professional development, and making progress in that journey is a key component of happiness and satisfaction in one’s work. Our team members are encouraged to follow their career interests, while also challenging themselves. To facilitate this, our leads work with each team member to identify areas of strength, and areas of desired development, and whenever possible, assign tasks and projects which will inspire the team member to grow in skill, knowledge, and capability.
What do we look for in User Interface Artist candidates?
- You’ve Made Stuff You are Proud Of - What we’d love to see in your UI portfolio is work that you developed yourself from concept to finish - ideally modern, innovative, and aesthetically appealing graphic design work that includes menus, user interfaces, fonts, logos, and/or other visual displays ideally for games, although we’re open to seeing work for other media as well.
- A Keen Eye for Graphic Design And a Sense for UX - You understand how to design a memorable logo and you know how to make a simple shape look elegant and appealing. You have strong foundational art skills and will bring to the table a keen eye for proportion, scale, color, shape, and perspective. Although an artist by trade, you have an understanding of UX best practices that helps make sure your work enhances the experience rather than distract or detract. You have a passion for design and stay abreast of modern looks and trends in graphics, typography, and UI - in games and other media. Ideally you are someone who has empathy for players and believes that their experience is of foremost importance.
- A Spirit for Collaboration - As a member of the UX/UI team, you will work closely with others within your department as well as disciplines such as design, art, animation, vfx, and code. Developing amazing UI/UX is a team effort, and you will work together with other talented team members to create what works best for the game.
- Passion - We look for UI Artists who are highly passionate. Our UI/UX team is constantly sharing knowledge and working to raise the quality bar. No one is phoning it in here – our team members love what they do and it shows in their work.
- Potential Over Experience – We value talent over years of experience. Experience counts, but potential is important too. We look for talented, highly motivated people who have a knack for hands on technical development, but who also balance their drive to make cool stuff with the understanding of what is highest priority for the team members and the game.
- Teamwork – Positivity and a great attitude help to fuel greatness. The ability to accept feedback and critiques will help you tailor your work towards what’s best for the game. Making games is a group effort and you will collaborate closely with other departments. Teamwork is very important to our success.
Ideally, you also will have...
Professional game development experience, working in game engines.
Mastery of relevant software packages such as Photoshop and Illustrator.
A strong understanding of UI/UX development processes and pipelines.
Motion graphics skills are a plus!
Self-direction and the ability to work autonomously as well as with a team.
If this opportunity sounds like a great fit for you, please submit your resume and portfolio and we will get back to you once we have reviewed.
Community / Marketing Title: User Interface Artist (Apex Legends)
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
EEOText: EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.
Date Opened: 2018-08-21 17:37:15.067
EEO Employer Verbiage:
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status or veteran status. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law.